Community Outreach and Communications Intern
About NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland (NPCM):
NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland, the state's largest grassroots pro-choice organization, has been working to protect choice for over 30 years.
Our mission is to develop and sustain a constituency that uses the political process to guarantee every individual the right to make personal decisions regarding the full range of reproductive choices, including preventing unintended pregnancy, bearing healthy children, and choosing legal abortion.
About the Community Outreach and Communications Internship:
NPCM is seeking a Community Outreach and Communications Intern to assist with community outreach and education, help with online outreach efforts, and learn the inner workings of a non-profit organization.
- Help staff conduct educational outreach activities about relevant choice issues including, but not limited to, staffing community festivals and volunteer events (requires transportation and some weekend availability);
- Coordinate volunteers for community outreach events;
- Assist with development and implementation of educational campaigns;
- Regularly write and update content on websites and social media platforms to keep membership informed on current work and action opportunities;
- Help respond to or publicize breaking news through social media and press outreach;
- Help draft sample letters to the editor and op-ed pieces for activists or for personal submission;
- Assist with the update of our online reproductive health guide, including research and written content;
- Help staff with day-to-day office operations;
- Assist with other organizational projects as needed, including assisting with volunteer and fundraising events.
Qualified applicants will:
- Possess strong interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to engage a diverse audience with comfort and confidence;
- Possess strong organizational/multi-tasking skills, attention to detail and have an ability to meet deadlines on time;
- Possess excellent writing, researching, and editing skills; be familiar with Microsoft Word, Publisher, Excel and social networking sites;
- Be a self-starter who is able to take initiative on individual projects;
- Possess ability to work well independently and in cooperative decision-making settings;
- Outgoing personality and willingness to work with volunteers;
- Support the full range of reproductive options for women including birth control, bearing healthy children, adoption, and safe, legal abortion;
- Spanish language skills preferred but not required;
- Experience living, working, or attending school in Maryland is preferred but not required.
- The intern will gain experience and skills for working in community outreach and for a non-profit organization.
- The intern will learn about pro-choice issues and advocacy.
- In addition to regular tasks, the intern will have opportunities to participate in communications, political, fundraising, and event planning work.
Compensation:This internship is unpaid, but includes a $125 transportation stipend per month. If the intern's school offers credit for internships, NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland will work with the intern and the intern's school help the intern meet the requirements. (Ability to earn credit is not required.)
Some travel required; candidates must have reliable transportation. A minimum of 15-20 hours per week is required, 20-25 hours per week preferred. Occasional evenings and weekends required.
Scheduling is flexible based on applicant's availability. Much of internship activities will take place at our office in Silver Spring (Metro accessible) during office hours (9am-5pm, Mon-Fri), though availability for some evenings and weekends for outreach events across the state is required.
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.