Research Specialist 2
Research Specialist 2 - Lombardi Cancer Center
Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, part of Georgetown University Medical Center and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, seeks to prevent, treat, and cure cancers by linking scientific discovery, expert and compassionate patient care, quality education, and partnership with the community; guided by the principle of cura personalis, "care for the whole person."
The Research Specialist 2 is an active member of the team of specialists responsible for the human specimen collection for the high quality tumor biobank and clinical database located at the Lombardi Cancer Center. The sites for tissue collections include Georgetown University Hospital and/or Washington Hospital Center. The candidate will be responsible for a routine collection of a comprehensive set of biological specimens (tissue, blood, urine) and complete clinical data from patients undergoing surgeries at the sites of collection respectively. This project is funded through the grant from a German Biotech Company, Indivumed GmbH. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Works closely with the clinical teams at the collection sites and the sponsor, specifically.
- Obtains consent from the perspective patients prior to the enrollment into the study.
- Present at the operation room and interacts with surgeons, nurses and pathologist in order to receive the resected specimens and prepare/store tissue blocks in the pathology department according to the standard operation procedures.
- Obtains patient's blood and urine samples in the OR collected by the anesthesiologists and transports the samples and specimens to the tissue biorepository for blood processing and /or GCRC for additional blood testing.
- Collects clinical data through reviewing patients medical charts and post-surgical bedside interviewing.
- Documents surgical and anesthesiological data and all post-surgical complications and transfers the clinical data into an Oracle and access databases.
- Collects clinical data and/or tissue samples from follow-up patients.
- Collects tissue from the other special collection projects, such liver biopsies and pancreatic EUS/EGS.
- Bachelor's degree
- 2-3 years of experience in a clinical and/or research setting
- Experience in contact with patients and physicians, experience in oncology, clinical research and/or surgery
- Must be able to review patients medical charts and analyze the information to be entered in the patient interview form
- Must feel confident interviewing patient for the collection of clinical data
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Please select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or email@example.com.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.