Portuguese Interpreter/Translator (English-Portuguese-Spanish)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Interpreter/Translator position is under the Department of Studies at the Inter-American Defense College (IADC). The Department of Studies, Academic Operations Division provides planning, interpretation, and translation services to a broad range of activities supporting the IADC. Activities requiring language services support at the College include, but are not limited to, daily academic activities, study trips and visits, official IADC meetings with foreign and U.S. visitors, IADC sponsored ceremonies, and student academic remediation. In addition, the Academic Operations Division ensures translated syllabi and reading materials are readily available in English, Spanish, Portuguese and French. The primary responsibilities of this position are to provide simultaneous interpretation during academic activities and to translate a wide range of documents into and from Portuguese and English. Spanish is required as a passive working language for this position. Work requirements follow an established academic year schedule, with regular leave/vacation opportunities during academic breaks. Priority will be given to candidates with fluency in Portuguese, English and Spanish.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR RECRUITMENT:
1. EDUCATION - University Degree required. Degree should preferably be in languages or in a course of study pertinent to one of the major areas of the IADC mission and activities.
2. EXPERIENCE - Two years of verifiable experience performing simultaneous interpretation and translation in the assigned language combination. Minimum one year in-house experience working as an Interpreter/Translator in an international organization is preferred.
The ability to work in a fast-paced international political, diplomatic, military, and educational environment with senior officials from multiple countries.
3. LANGUAGE SKILLS - Must have an “A” or “B” language capability in Portuguese and English. Must have excellent oral and written communication skills in Portuguese and English. “C” language capability in Spanish is required and French is desired.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of all functions associated with office procedures and work. Initiative and resourcefulness required, as well as, capability to produce accurate and timely work under minimum supervision.
- Capacity to produce high quality products within deadlines while adapting rapidly to changing requirements in a high-demand environment. Ability to manage multiple requests and prioritize tasks.
- Proficient in use of state-of-the-art interpretation equipment. Proficiency or ability to develop proficiency in the use of word processing, graphics/software applications, and office equipment. Set up formats with acceptable speed and accuracy. Ability to type with acceptable speed and accuracy.
- Ability to distinguish the different levels of language, sensitivity to language use, broad cultural background, and knowledge of general editorial practices.
- Superior knowledge of translation and revision procedures, techniques, policies, practices, and technologies.
- Ability to understand technical material in the realm of Defense and Security including political, military, financial, and public security areas.
- Ability to work harmoniously as part of a team and with individual colleagues.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically at all levels of IADC staff, students, associates and dignitaries.
- Ability to work extensively with electronic mail.
TRAVEL: Must be able to travel in the United States and abroad. Must have a valid passport.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Basic gross salary per annum ranges from $70,370-$75,025. Benefits include annual leave, sick leave, health insurance, life insurance, and retirement savings plan. Applicants are eligible for tax reimbursement. For more information about salary and benefits contact Mr. Oscar Gomez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
1. Fill out attached application Form (IADB Form P-1) AND
2. A current resume or curriculum vitae in English; failure to do so will result in an incomplete application.
3. Any other documentation (e.g., certificates, awards, copies of degrees earned) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
Applicants, who fulfill the minimum requirements, as listed in the employment opportunity, will be considered in the selection process. Only those with the best qualifications will be invited for an interview. The Inter-American Defense Board does not discriminate against any individual, employee, or application for employment on the basis of race, color, marital status, religion, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or status as a parent.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO:
Inter-American Defense College