Director of Justice Team, Institute of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas
The Sisters of Mercy of the Americas, a Roman Catholic religious order, located in Silver Spring, MD is seeking a full-time Director of its three person Social Justice Team. The primary focus of the Director is to lead the planning, prioritization and development of strategies that engage Mercy in the work of justice.
The Director of the Institute Justice Team (IJT) guides and supervises the work of the IJT members in planning and implementation of the education, advocacy and organizing of the Mercy network in responding to the Critical Concerns.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads the planning, prioritization and development of strategies that engage Mercy in the work of justice through prayer, lifestyle/institutional changes, organizing for action, education and policy advocacy.
- Ensures that national and international policies are analyzed to determine possible effect on ministries and concerns of the Sisters of Mercy.
- Oversees the Institute Justice team’s (IJT) work that influences public policy in a direction favorable to Sisters of Mercy's ministries and justice concerns.
- Represents the IJT in coalitions as needed.
- Assures the building of working relationships with groups and coalitions with similar interests in order to collaborate on efforts related to the Critical Concerns.
- Assures development of education and action resources, educational experiences and communication opportunities to further the Critical Concerns.
- Coordinates organizing of Mercy sisters, associates, companions and ministry partners for action responses to the Critical Concerns.
- Develops policy advocacy strategy and efforts in response to the Critical Concerns.
- Provides leadership in developing IJT annual goals, materials, timelines, yearly budget, and implementation of the justice plan.
- Gives leadership to and facilitates planning with the Extended Justice Team in implementing Institute-wide initiatives on the Critical Concerns.
- Ensures good communication and coordination with the of work with Mercy Investment Services and Mercy Global Action at the UN
- Manages the justice staff including professional development and hiring decisions.
- Directly supervises two exempt employees; carrying out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws
- Interviews and trains employees; plans, assigns and directs work; appraises performance; addresses complaints and resolves problems
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested
- Works as a member of a three person team
Qualifications include 5 -7 years of non-profit work experience as leader of social justice efforts; knowledge of legislative procedures and practices; knowledge of national and international movements; public speaking and written communication skills; collaboration. Educational preparation in administrative leadership, public policy, theology or related field. Knowledge of Spanish is desirable.
Education, Competencies, and Experience
To perform the job successfully, an individual should have the following education, competencies, and experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree or certification in Social Justice, Theology, Public Policy, or related field and Administration.
- Five to seven years related experience, and/or training preferred in justice ministry leadership.
- Experience and education requirements may be satisfied with equivalent combination of education and experience
- Computer proficiency and experience with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Access, PowerPoint, and Capwiz
- Ability to complete assignments which frequently involve independent decisions based on a wide knowledge of many factors where application of advanced or technical concepts is predominantly required
- Ability to use judgment to determine best approach for accomplishing and prioritizing complex job duties
- Ability to lead effective work groups and projects
- Ability to travel occasionally
- Ability to speak Spanish preferred
- Ability to read; analyze; and interpret current events and professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations to Institute Leadership, affiliates, and others
Apply for Director of Justice Team, Institute of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly