Garden Maintenance Internship
City Blossoms is a non-profit dedicated to fostering healthy communities by developing kid-driven green spaces, and innovative resources. We provide garden-based programming with a focus on art, environmental education, healthy living skills, and community in schools, after school programs and Community Green Spaces across DC. If you are interested in joining us, we are currently accepting applications for our Summer cycle of interns (May 16th to mid-August). We are seeking out individuals with a passion for gardening, teaching and community-based education to fill our Gardening Maintenance Internships.
Gain experience in the day-to-day tasks required in urban agriculture and gardening through exposure to City Blossoms' unique methods. Basic construction skills (including experience with power tools) and gardening experience are desired. Responsibilities will include:
- planning and updating the planting schedule and crop rotation for multiple sites in collaboration with City Blossoms staff
- facilitating and tracking orders for materials such as compost deliveries, seedlings, and tools
- physical maintenance of several sites, including weeding, mulching, cleaning, planting, IPM, irrigation, harvesting, etc.
- light construction (such as building raised beds and other simple structures)
- promoting events and workshops
- researching solutions to troubleshoot challenges at the various sites
- collaborating with existing and potential partners towards promoting efficiency in City Blossoms sites
We are looking for highly motivated, organized candidates with a passion for community building and the arts. Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org position preference by March 20, 2017
City Blossoms is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation or age.