Director of Member Support
The Director of Member Support utilizes a strong combination of customer care expertise and project management skills to facilitate and direct inbound and outbound customer service communication functions in alignment with NAIS’ overall customer care objectives. This includes acquiring resources and coordinating the efforts of team members and to manage inquiries and provide support to NAIS members and prospective members. The effectiveness of the individual in this position is measured based on customer service performance, NAIS member satisfaction, and ability to manage effectively to budgetary goals.
At NAIS, we are passionate about education and the work that we do to advance it. We are customer-focused and always strive for excellence. We work collaboratively and value creativity and initiative. We foster empathy, flexibility, and cultural competence. As an integral part of the NAIS staff, this position is expected to serve as an engaged and involved team member, supportive of the varied experiences and perspectives of internal and external colleagues; to support and actively build an office culture dedicated to superior customer service that exceeds customer expectations; and to work within the team and among teams to ensure that decisions are made to further the organization’s goals, particularly the goals of modeling multiculturalism and helping to build inclusive school communities.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Define scope, goals and deliverables associated with customer service operations, which support business goals in collaboration with senior management and stakeholders.
- Document business rules and processes associated with the customer service function.
- Define customer service success criteria and define measurement systems to accurately monitor and report performance metrics.
- Manage reporting through CRM and telephony data in order to measure and manage performance according to the defined success criteria.
- Work with IT and vendor resources to ensure that the customer service team has the appropriate training and tools for notating call results, updating CRM and measuring performance.
- Manage effective communication with customer service team members as well as other internal stakeholders.
- Directly communicate with membership by support inbound call handling by actively taking calls and emails when volume dictates and directly communicate with callers and members who require additional support through an established escalation process.
- Liaise with customer service stakeholders, e.g., the Membership and DASL teams, on an ongoing basis to determine how to improve ways in which member support impacts their departmental efforts.
- Orchestrate the conceptualization and initial development of internal and external facing support materials, e.g., webinars, articles, FAQs, etc. to augment the team’s member support efforts with the collaboration of the other team members.
- Acquire and utilize all viable data to enhance customer service performance as well as to provide meaningful customer response data to support other internal departments and stakeholders.
- Draft and submit budget proposals, and recommend subsequent budget changes as necessary.
- Estimate the resources and participants needed to achieve customer service goal, including internal, external, full time and part time staff, and with organization approval procure the necessary resources.
- Plan, schedule and track customer service timelines and milestones using appropriate tools.
- Coach, mentor, motivate and supervise customer service team members and contractors, and influence them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work.
- Build, develop, and grow any business relationships vital to the success of the customer service.
- Develop best practices and tools for customer service execution and management.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Strong detail orientation and proven project management capabilities.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, including skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Ability to work independently, with the capacity to manage complex issues, challenges and solutions.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple priorities simultaneously and to adapt to changing priorities with flexibility and efficiency.
- Ability to nurture and develop a team environment.
- Ability to review, analyze, interpret reports and performance statistics.
- Competent and proficient understanding of customer service platforms and tools including customer databases (Microsoft Dynamics, salesforce.com) and Microsoft Office tools (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Strong and effective verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate technical/product information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Solid knowledge of accounting and budgeting.
- Private school experience preferred in admissions, financial aid, or business management.
- Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) from a four-year college or university or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- A minimum of 3 - 5 years active customer service experience required, including a minimum of 2 years supervisory/management experience of customer service operations and/or project management.
- A willingness to travel on a limited basis.