Federal Programs Analyst
Federal Programs Analyst
Office of Financial Aid
Exempt, Regular, 100%-Time, Pay Grade 1.3
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks a Federal Programs Analyst in the Office of Financial Aid. Reporting to the Assistant Director, Federal Program Operations, the Federal Programs Analyst will perform various tasks to ensure federal program compliance with respect to awards, disbursements and reconciliation. The Federal Programs Analyst will evaluate errors and discrepancies within all programs managed by the Federal Operations unit - including Federal grants and loans, institutional grants and private loans. The position requires an in depth knowledge of federal Financial Aid regulations in order to assist with intricate scenarios. Occasional travel between local UMUC locations may be required.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Evaluate origination, disbursement and final reconciliation errors and discrepancies within the Direct Loan program, Pell Grant program, and Alternative Loan program and resolve them accurately. Review complex errors and assist other units within the Financial Aid office with feasible solutions to student issues. (35%)
- Monitor Federal Operations unit PeopleSoft queries and other pertinent reports to address delays in processing, inaccuracies with awards, disbursements, and basic eligibility requirements. (35%)
- Counsel students, parents, and UMUC staff on financial aid processes/eligibility. Respond to student escalations and attempt to resolve with minimal oversight. (15%)
- Maintain current knowledge of federal Title IV regulations, state rules and institutional policies pertaining to financial aid as it pertains to student eligibility, and the key programs within the Federal Operations unit. Assist with revising, or creating policies and procedures yearly, based on updated Title IV regulations, and internal policies. (10%)
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Four (4) years of professional experience in higher education, banking, accounting, business or customer service with a minimum of 2 of those years in a higher education financial aid setting.
- Working knowledge of Title IV regulations and programs.
- Excellent level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience with computerized office systems including but not limited to; Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple administrative tasks with minimal oversight.
- Demonstrated experience providing customer service in a timely and proficient manner.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- In depth knowledge of Title IV regulations as they pertain to Pell Grants and Direct Loans.
- Functional experience with PeopleSoft and Sales Force.
- In depth understanding of NSLDS and COD.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you are required to create an account prior to completing your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to check on the status of your application or to apply to additional jobs.