Summer Intern - Office of Institutional Advancement
Overview: Established by Congress in 1974, the Legal Services Corporation (LSC) is the country's single largest funder of civil legal aid for low-income Americans. LSC currently funds 133 independent, non-profit legal aid organizations with more than 800 offices throughout the nation. LSC's mission is to promote equal access to justice and provide grants for high-quality civil legal assistance.
The primary objectives of the internship are for the intern to:
- Increase proficiency in specific fundraising disciplines; such as finance management, grant research, marketing, and event coordination.
- Observe and participate in fundraising operations and decision-making.
The intern's hours will be 37.5 hours per week during the Summer. The internship will run from June to August 2017.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
LSC is accepting applications from students currently enrolled in college. The ideal applicant will be dependable, self-motivated, professional, hard-working, disciplined, and demonstrate integrity. He or she will have excellent research and analytical skills, have excellent oral and written communication skills, be attentive to details and organized, and able to work both independently and on a team. He or she also will exercise good judgment and be an effective problem-solver, intellectually curious, and committed to LSC's mission to promote equal access to justice. A high degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite required. SalesForce background encouraged.
The intern's principal duties and responsibilities include:
- Draft background memos on prospective donors;
- Prepare and send acknowledgement letters, and maintain records of LSC donations on Excel and Salesforce;
- Research and prepare summaries of new foundations;
- Research project proposals;
- Manage current projects and compile research for current privately-funded projects;
- Update and prepare LSC's Campaign for Justice website;
- Research event venues and caterers;
- Maintain guest and speaker lists;
- Work with key high profile individuals in preparation for events, and when necessary, staff major fundraising events; and
- Perform general administrative functions.
This internship is paid an hourly rate based on undergraduate year. The range is $11.50-14.50 per hour.
Submit a résumé and cover letter explaining why you are a good fit for this position. Please apply directly on our website at: www.lsc.gov/about-lsc/careers
Questions may be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org; no applications, please.
If reasonable accommodation in the application process is required, please notify OHR at 202-295-1571.
LSC embraces diversity as a core value. We recognize that our success as a corporation depends on creating and maintaining a diverse team of talented professionals, and we are committed to a workplace that reflects and supports diverse individual backgrounds and perspectives. Our commitment to diversity, inclusion, and non-discrimination includes race, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, personal appearance, genetic information, political affiliation, marital status, family responsibilities, disability and status as a veteran, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws or regulation. We strive to have a workplace that is comfortable and welcoming for everyone. LSC is an equal opportunity employer.