Criminal Justice and Re-entry Advocacy Intern
Mission: Launch, Inc. is seeking an intern to assist in advocacy and outreach activities, 20 - 25
hours per week. Specifically, you will be asked to:
- Research and present advocacy best practices, which leverage Nationbuilder
- Study successful campaigns and offer recommendations to the team;
- Help in drafting campaign documents such as: theory of changes, program proposals as well as budgets;
- Assist in events scheduled for DC and/or Baltimore area engagement;
- Assist in the creation of processes and procedures that streamline online engagement efforts; and,
- Work with the team to create a robust engagement strategy leveraging Medium, Periscope, Hootsuite and traditional platforms (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram).
The Position Qualifications & Preferences
- Willing to spend significant time researching and comfort with online searches
- Eagerness to be sent to learn offsite (local/regional travel stipends available)
- Experience working on a laptop, tablet and mobile device
- Comfortable presenting findings and offering recommendations
- Graduate level public policy, business, communications, sociology student preferred
The General Qualifications
- Passionate about criminal justice and/or human rights
- Empathetic person with cultural sensitivity
- Strong command of English language and written communication
- Comfortable with Google products (example: Google Drive/Suite, Google Ads, Google Hangout)
- Self-starter, able to work on projects independently
- Strong attention to detail
- Willing to ask questions, open to learn
- Flexibility personality, open to a growing organization
Mission: Launch works out of WeWork Dupont Circle as well as Impact Hub Baltimore. There will be occasions to work from home, meet remotely as well as spend time in the office around other entrepreneurs, sole proprietors and creatives.
We have a professionally casual dress code (with occasional business dress required for special events). For those who choose to stick around there is an opportunity for mentorship and professional career development support beyond Mission: Launch.
Although this is an unpaid position, interns can expect:
- To work a minimum of 20 hours a week, with flexibility around hours and the ability to work remotely
- To receive hands-on work experience
- To have the opportunity to expand their professional networks
- To have high levels of autonomy and flexibility within their role
- To attend criminal justice events and gain training beyond the internship. We will go the extra mile to make sure you receive a learning experience that fits your career goals.