Estimator - Tenant Interiors Construction
Since 1998, Bognet Construction successfully builds fast-track commercial interiors and base building projects ranging in size from a few thousand square feet to over 250,000 square feet. At Bognet, we know that when it comes to construction, customers do not like surprises. We work tirelessly to anticipate things that might go wrong or delay a project. We develop solutions to make sure that issues never become problems. We call this being "relentlessly proactive" and hold ourselves to this standard in everything we do. This focus on being "relentlessly proactive," allows Bognet to provide unmatched quality and service to our customers.
Summary of Responsibilities
The Estimator is a critical position within Bognet Construction. Estimators are responsible for evaluating bid specifications and drawings, ensuring that we know everything required to successfully bid and win the project. Estimators must aggressively follow-up with subcontractors to ensure that bids are received. Estimators also work with the Project Management teams to follow-up on bids and budgets to help close the business.
At Bognet, our business strategy is to be the most proactive General Contractor in the Washington metropolitan area. Therefore, we hold every employee to the standard of being “Relentlessly Proactive,” and we expect this behavior to drive every activity.
The Relentlessly Proactive Estimator
- Bid Administration
- Prepare and maintain status of plan reproduction
- Solicit and maintains communications with subcontractors and vendors
- Prepare subcontractor bid packages
- Transmits addenda and other bid information to subcontractors
- Ensure that we have the proper coverage from subcontractors 1 day prior to, and on bid day
- Contact supply houses to obtain additional subcontractor bids 1 day prior to bid day
- Shows creativity and resourcefulness to gain better pricing from subcontractors
- Submit 100% of bids and budgets by the bid deadline – or sooner – no exceptions
- Enter all relevant information into Sage 300
- Review bid requirements thoroughly and asks follow-up question on every bid
- Develop a thorough understanding of the scope for specific trades assigned
- Develop RFI's and clarifications and ensure adequate subcontractor coverage and shows interest
- Visit job sites as required to meet clients and assess construction requirements
- Show interest at the pre-bid meeting, asking questions as appropriate
- Perform a comprehensive "bid day" analysis and scoping of specific assigned trades
- Create bid lists that fit scope of job, ensuring that we have the right subs for the project
- Minimize exclusions by “doing our homework”
- Include value-engineering ideas on every bid
- Follow up & closing
- Proactively follow-up on submitted bids and budgets with Architect, Construction Manager and/or Tenant to close business
- Proactively re-work bids and budgets with address questions and concerns
- Proactively work with subcontractors to tighten specifications, address concerns, and complete value-engineering as required
- Develop personal relationships with architects, construction managers, property managers, brokers, etc.
- Sell Bognet’s competitive advantages to close business
- Notify PM, BD, and Executive Teams of a win within 5 minutes of award (request job #)
- Order five sets of additional drawings for Project Team
- Properly turns over bid documents and sub buyout information to Project Management in a timely manner. Goal is 100% of awarded projects turned over within 24 hours of notification.
- Review drawings with Project Management team and highlight areas of concern
- Review job cost with Project Management team and highlight any subs/material vendors that still need to be awarded
- Review all addendums with Project Management team
- Complete project kick-off form to ensure compliance
- Thoroughly check requirements to buy the proper scope and price
- Award subs in a timely manner to ensure release of materials
- Release materials for record only when possible
- Ensure that subs are aware of (and commit to) the project schedule
- Provide subs with as much information as possible (PM, Super, permit status, etc.)
- Send e-mail notice to proceed to subcontractors
- Subcontractor management
- Seek & qualify new subcontractors
- Hold subcontractors to the Relentlessly Proactive and BOGNET Way standards
Bognet Construction is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, veteran status, disability or age.