Latin America Intern
The Latin America program of Rights and Resources Initiative is looking for a creative and passionate intern who will be closely involved in the program, learning about RRI's work on indigenous rights and forest communities to land and natural resource tenure rights.
The winter intern will work closely with and report directly to the Director of the Latin America Program, and in coordination with the Senior Associate for Latin America Program will actively contribute to the implementation of the program´s strategy in 2017, including communications, outreach, contracting process, translations and administration as well a permanent correspondence with organizations in the region.
The Rights and Resources Initiative (RRI) is a global coalition that supports the developing world´s Indigenous Peoples and local communities to secure their rights to own, control and benefit from the natural resources they have depended on for generations. RRI´s Latin America program foster cooperation among Partners, Collaborator and affiliated organizations in the region to carry out effective advocacy strategy to influence decision makers to prevent negative impacts on forests and collective rights and operate as a unified front to voice their need for secure land rights on national and international stages.
This is a part-time (20 hours per week), paid internship based in Georgetown, Washington DC.
1. Assist the Latin America Program with communications and outreach.
a. Assist to liaise with Communications & Outreach staff to ensure key Latin America information and success stories are readily available on RRI's website and through social media.
b. In coordination with the Communications Department, assist the Latin America team to craft, post, and maintain event pages, news blogs.
2. Assist the Director and the Senior Associate in preparation of the annual contracting process
a. Support in the review and budgets for the contractual process of 2017.
b. Assist in the Spanish/ English translation of the Concept Notes to elaborate contract with Collaborators and Partners in the Latin America Region.
c. In coordination with the Senior Associate, draft contracts for the implementation of RRI's 2017 strategy in Latin America.
d. Assist in the preparation and documentation of the analysis of Strategic Response Mechanism (SRM) proposals.
3. Provide written translation from Spanish to English and vice versa.
a. Support with the translation of key information of the country planning 2017.
b. Assist in summarizing documents and reports in Spanish and English and vice versa.
c. Assist in drafting, translating, and editing brief documents on tenure rights, REDD+, forestry, gender, sustainable enterprises, and related themes, as requested.
4. Support the Latin America program with specific research and projects as needed.
a. Assist with background research for the development of institutional reports and analysis.
b. Assist with research for specific regional country activities as assigned by the Program Director.
5. Assist with editing reports of monitoring and evaluation of the Latin America program strategy.
a. Assist in reviewing reports from Partners and Collaborators in the region on the implementation of the strategy.
b. Write short summaries of results and impacts Partners and Collaborators reports.
- Professional fluency writing and speaking in Spanish is required.
- Working ability in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point.
- Flexibility to work independently in a highly dynamic environment while ensuring that established deadlines are met on a wide variety of tasks
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management capability
- A professional, collegial, and cheerful demeanor
- Ability to take initiative and demonstrate responsibility and interest as an integral part of Latin America team
Ability to work with people in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity