Manager, Talent & Human Resources
United Way Worldwide is the world’s largest privately-funded nonprofit. Our global mission is to improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities to advance the common good. United Way envisions a world in which all individuals and families develop and achieve their full potential through education, income stability, and healthy living. United Way employees possess the passion, expertise, and resources required to make great things happen–we invite you to be a part of the change–to Live United.
The Manager, Talent & Human Resources is a member of the Talent Management Team and is responsible for the overall delivery of assigned work projects within the Talent Management department. These fall in the broad areas of (1) development of talent resources and tools (competency models, job descriptions, performance assessments, recruitment guide, onboarding, other talent guides, etc.); (2) project management (organization of events, meetings, and Webinars to promote/deliver talent management content); (3) collaborative work with United Ways across the United Way Network to develop and implement talent management priorities (onboarding, talent acquisition, succession planning, and job sourcing); (4) serve as a consultant and a resource to the United Way Network’s Human Resources community; (5) marketing of talent management products and resources.
The Manager, Talent & Human Resources is required to assist in determining work tactics, resource requirements, and project deliverables as assigned in the areas identified. Participates in the development of departmental action plans, work processes, and systems. Delivering results and quality service and products to the United Way Network is the utmost priority.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at, or above, a satisfactory level:
Develop Talent / Human Resources Products (Resources, Tools). Manage projects, cross-functional teams, consultants, to regularly update and create new products and resources to support United Way’s organizational and Human Resources’ portfolio of resources such as Succession Planning, Performance Evaluation, Competency Models, Job Descriptions, Staffing Models, and all other Talent/Human Resources materials and tools. Develop Talent/Human Resources organizational resources:
- Create and write competency models, performance assessments/evaluations, job descriptions, recruitment guides, succession planning toolkits, onboarding materials, etc.
- Create development opportunities to engage and train on how to use these resources and tools, the practical application and the “how to” (e.g., deliver Webinars on how to effectively implement succession planning).
- Leverage online technology and seek to continuously improve and benchmark United Way with other organizations to ensure quality and innovative approaches.
Project Management of Processes, Committees, Cross-Functional Teams and Groups. Proactively create project plans, manage and coordinate all work activities, tasks, and individuals to ensure successful completion of the project. Projects are primarily within the following:
- Develop Products: e.g., create competency models through managing a collaborative taskforce of subject matter experts, organizing and facilitating Focus Groups meetings, writing and publishing the final product.
- Meeting and Event Planning: e.g., plan, coordinate, and manage all aspects of planning and delivering a successful event--its content, logistics, and participant engagement (marketing, communications). Manage working teams and planning committees.
- Committee Management: e.g., develop project plans and manage engagement, communication, and ongoing agenda for the working committees, councils, and working groups that are created to either create a product, plan an event, and/or set strategic priorities.
- Webinar and online meeting management and delivery.
Manage Talent Acquisition. Proactively look for ways to position United Way as the employer of choice.
- Serve as an Administrator for United Way’s “Careers” jobs management platform. Monitor job postings, post jobs, support United Ways as needed, work with Information Technology department to ensure regular maintenance and system functionality. Produce regular reports and seek ways to improve.
- Manage United Way’s LinkedIn “Careers” site by managing and posting jobs on behalf of United Way Network as an ongoing promotion of key Network positions. Implement and refine the existing process to best optimize LinkedIn “Recruiter” tool for promoting and sourcing candidates.
- Create resources and guides to support recruitment and hiring processes (e.g., recruiter guide, interview questions, job descriptions). Look for ways to partner with universities and other organizations to promote United Way jobs and source talent.
- Assist Vice President, Talent Management with project management of Executive Searches by maintaining database of active and closed searches, database of high-potential leaders, and tracking career movements. Support Vice President, Talent Management with regular reports and update Executive Search resources.
Manage Onboarding Process for New United Way Executives and Employees. Create onboarding materials and administer the onboarding process, including online resources.
- Administer the onboarding process for New United Way Executives, stay informed of the organizational changes, update onboarding materials to ensure they are accurate.
- Create and administer the onboarding process for New United Way Employees. This is new area of work that needs to be developed.
- Conduct onboarding bi-monthly Webinars for new CEOs and Board members, recruit speakers, manage promotion, technology, facilitate planning and content preparation.
Manage Annual “Talent Management Forum” Planning and Delivery. Manage all logistical aspects of producing the event in collaboration with the Finance and Information Technology Teams.
- Manage the Planning Committee.
- Coordinate RFP session proposals and speaker selection/preparation.
- Secure HRCI and SHRM educational credits for Forum sessions.
- Produce agendas, run meetings, create content and promotional materials for event.
- Negotiate contracts and work with consultants to ensure the timely achievement of project objectives and deliverables.
Manage Marketing of the Talent/HR Products and Resources.
- Adequately present Talent Management programs and products.
- dentify, develop, and create opportunities for promoting and advancing United Way Talent Management programs and products that will help position United Way as the Mission of Choice.
- Write promotional blurbs, collateral materials (e.g., fliers) to promote portfolio of products to United Way Network.
- Manage and maintain the United Way Online Talent & Operations Intranet pages to ensure information is updated, properly presented, easy to access and use. Create and maintain database of quality resources (e.g., job descriptions database reviewed and updated annually).
- Research trends to be shared and promoted within United Way Human Resources community.
- Actively leverage communications channels such as Breakfast Online, United Way Online, CEO Newsletter, Webinars, Careers, HR Listserv, Leadership Pipeline, etc.
Support Vice President, Talent Management and serve as a strategic business partner. Effectively connect Human Resources, practice and prioritize Talent Management to support organizational and United Way Network strategic goals and priorities.
Other duties as assigned.
Minimum requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Organizational Development, Marketing and Communications, Project Management, or related field.
- Five to eight years of prior relevant work experience or advanced-level experience in a similar role.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in English as well as another language(s) is desirable.
- Ability to distil complex information into simple and user-friendly communication, message.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Excellent follow-up and follow-through skills, ability to effectively manage committees and deliver results with quality and on time.
- Advanced knowledge and use of online technology and programs (experience with talent acquisition software, LinkedIn, other). Requires technical/functional knowledge, skills and abilities (use of Excel and Power Point are a must).
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff.
- Experience in supporting and/or leading cross-functional and collaborative projects that engage people from around the world.
- Proven ability as an effective team member and collaborator (in-person and virtually).
- Experience working in an international environment is very helpful.
- Preference will be given to those with knowledge and experience in Human Resources.
- United Way experience desirable but not required.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are enthusiastic about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 703-836-7100, ext. 428 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA; minutes from downtown Washington, DC. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: free parking and onsite gym; health, dental, vision, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance; 403(b) retirement plan; tuition assistance; paid time off; medical appointment leave; family sick leave; employee assistance program; monthly volunteer opportunities, and more.
Thank you for your interest in employment with United Way Worldwide. Please apply via the online system. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.