Myth in the World, The Undergraduate School- Adjunct Faculty
7 days left
- Full Time
Myth in the World
The Undergraduate School
Location: Maryland/DC area, including Southern Maryland Higher Education Center, Ft. Myer, and Ft. Meade
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks adjunct faculty to teach in the Humanities program, teaching a hybrid course in the Maryland/DC area. Specifically, we are seeking faculty for the following course:
Myth in the World (HUMN 351): A presentation of myths from around the globe. The goal is to examine the interface between myths and cultural forms such as literature, art, and religion. Topics include sacred places and objects, goddesses and gods, heroes and tricksters, and stories of creation and destruction. Discussion also covers implicit values in the myths that shape cultural and individual identity and affect the social landscape. This course covers both Eastern and Western myth.
Required Education and Experience:
- Ph.D or terminal degree required from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Prior teaching experience, and experience with online teaching environments
- You must meet the minimum technology requirements, which can be reviewed at https://www.umuc.edu/visitors/careers/facultyrecruit/upload/Adjunct-Faculty-Minimum-Technology-Requirements.pdf
Who We Are and Who We Serve
UMUC—one of 11 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM)—is a mission-driven institution with seven core values that guide us in all we do. At the top of the list is "Students First," and we strive to do just that for our 90,000 students at home and abroad. From its start in 1947, UMUC has demonstrated its commitment to adult learners. We recognize that adult students need flexibility and options. UMUC is proud to be a global, 24-hour, institution of higher learning.
The typical UMUC student is an adult learner juggling a career, family, and other priorities. Roughly 80% work full time, half are parents, and half are minority students. They are continuing their education to better themselves, their families, and their professional opportunities. UMUC is also a leading higher education provider to the U.S. military, enrolling 55,000 active-duty service members, reservists, National Guard members, veterans, and family members annually. We are proud of our military heritage and are committed to this service.
The Adjunct Faculty Role at UMUC
UMUC is committed to helping students achieve success not only with us, but also in their professional fields. As a result, we actively seek faculty members who are scholar-practitioners: professionals who are actively and successfully engaged in their field who additionally wish to help the next generation of professionals grow in their knowledge and expertise through education. Your role as an adjunct faculty member will be to:
- Actively engage students though frequent interaction that motivates them to succeed, and conveys a genuine energy and enthusiasm for their learning.
- Guide students in active collaboration and the application of their learning in problem- and project-based learning demonstrations.
- Provide rich and regular constructive feedback, utilizing rubrics effectively for the assessment of student work, and acknowledging student accomplishments.
- Demonstrate relevant and current subject-matter expertise, and help students connect concepts across their academic program.
- Provide feedback to your program chair on possible curricular improvements.
The Philosophy and Humanities program at UMUC
To learn more about this program, including its description, outcomes, and coursework, please visit: http://www.umuc.edu/academic-programs/bachelors-degrees/humanities-major.cfm
Faculty Training at UMUC
We are committed to your professional success at UMUC. Each new faculty member is required to successfully complete our online two-week new faculty orientation, FacDev 411, as a condition of hire.
Position Available and will Remain Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.