PR & Marketing Associate
This position reports to the Executive Director of Public Relations and Marketing (EDPRM), and requires an individual who can multi-task and whose diverse duties range from administrative support and planning to event coordination and budget assistance.
The marketing associate serves as the department's front desk receptionist, and is the first point of contact and an essential liaison for internal clients seeking services from the Office of Public Relations and Marketing and for the external public, legislative staff, and news media seeking information and assistance with time-sensitive and, at times, urgent requests for the college. With the Office of Public Relations and Marketing (PRM) reporting to the President, excellent written and interpersonal communications and problem-solving skills are essential.
The marketing associate serves as the administrative support for the EDPRM and provides analytical, logistical, and creative support to PRM staff to assist them, as needed, with core work.
The position is responsible for maintaining and improving fundamental office operations, including: administrative support for an approximate $1 million budget; organization and procurement of office supplies and materials; event organization, planning and logistical support for annual high-level legislative and media events such as Legislative Breakfast and Student Advocacy Day; meeting coordination for EDPRM and staff; oversight and coordination of office technology maintenance, licensing, and procurement; and fulfillment of college-wide requests for business cards, employee name tags, and exterior promotional signage as needed
Office Management Responsibilities:
- Responds to inquiries from HCC faculty and staff for PRM services, clarifies their needs, explains PRM procedures, and refers them to the appropriate PRM staff member.
- Receives telephone calls, visitors, and email inquiries, including inquiries from news media and legislators and their staff. Make judgments on best way to process inquiries, and route them to appropriate persons or offices.
- Makes travel arrangements for team members; places work orders with plant operations, information technology, and the mailroom.
- Prepares purchase requisitions for the PRM office, including employee reimbursement requests. Processes payments, review and reconciles invoices to contracts and/or purchase orders, and forward these to finance for payment. Works with finance office, vendors, and creative services manager to resolve any and all discrepancies, as needed.
- Receives and appropriately distributes materials and publications produced and delivered to the PRM office, such as college catalogs, course schedules, and magazines. Regularly checks all college publication display racks, replenishes and organizes supply, as necessary. Manages PRM office inventory of college publications.
- Provides support for the PRM team to ensure the department's core work of brand management, enrollment management, and funding support are consistent and successful. These duties may include, but are not limited to, submitting information to online news calendars, setting up interviews and contacting students, faculty or staff, processing and distributing photos, interview note-taking or transcribing, templated writing assignments, editing, proofing, maintaining the office's student profile database, and other job file management responsibilities.
- Maintains inventory, organize, and procure PRM office supplies, equipment, and technology.
- Fulfills college-wide requests for employee name tags; schedule/manage the calendar for promotional exterior banner requests; arrange set-up for banners/signage for major events as needed.
- Schedules meeting space for the office and staff members as needed.
- Sorts and distributes office mail.
Administrative Support Responsibilities:
- Provides administrative support for the EDPRM to include calendar management, meeting scheduling, budget management support, and other duties as assigned.
- Tracks office spending, and extracts financial reports and other information about department budget and expenditures within HCC's Colleague information management system. Also, develops and updates custom spreadsheets as needed to monitor actual and projected department spending to support EDPRM's budget management.
- Maintains legislator contact database, and assists with updating media contact database, as needed
- Provides support to EDPRM by producing, posting, distributing, and archiving college news and events for the media and college community. Gathers and distributes newspapers and maintain back issues of newspapers and magazines.
- Gathers marketing and public relations information and perform research, as needed by EDPRM and other department staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Event Planning Responsibilities:
- Under the leadership of the EDPRM, coordinates the planning and execution of the annual Legislative Breakfast, Student Advocacy Day, and other high-profile legislative and media special events as assigned.
- Connects with college offices and department to identify students to participate in events, utilize Colleague to identify students to attend events, contact students about events, prepare and educate students about events, and serve as first point of contact for students to answer questions and provide necessary information
- Assists with the selection of student speakers for events and prepare students for meetings with EDPRM
- Coordinates event invitations, track responses, and maintain list of attendees and students who would be good representatives of the college for future events.
- Contacts legislative staff to schedule visits and identify event dates
- Facilitates the production of event materials
- Arranges event catering, room set-up, and AV equipment
- Assists with the development of event timelines and event scheduling
- Supports EDPRM and the larger Office of PRM with other event planning duties, as assigned
- Associate degree or equivalent combination of postsecondary education and experience required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Two years experience in an office setting required. Public relations or marketing experience preferred.
- Financial management skills including procurement processing, budget monitoring, and account reconciliation.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Must upgrade knowledge and deal with conversion challenges as the college adopts newer versions of software packages.
- Ability to manage workload in fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions and to prioritize multiple project assignments, requiring a high degree of accuracy and efficiency.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, as well as interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
Hours Per Week: 37.5 hours
Work Schedule: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Compensation: $39,287 plus excellent health insurance, paid leave and tuition reimbursement
FLSA: Not exempt from overtime
Open Until Filled:
Best Consideration: please submit application by March 3, 2017
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100. The TDD line phone # is: 443-518-4822.
- Cover letter
The link for the job posting is: