Intern, World Movement for Democracy /Summer 2017 (Job #1716)
5 days left
- Full Time
National Endowment for Democracy (NED)
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED) is a congressionally funded, private, nonprofit grant making organization that works to support freedom around the world, and is seeking an unpaid Intern for the World Movement for Democracy. The position is based in Washington, D.C.
The World Movement for Democracy is a global network that brings together democrats, including activists, practitioners, scholars, policy makers, and funders, to advance democracy around the world. The goal of the World Movement is to strengthen efforts to build democracy through sharing knowledge, information, and strategies. NED serves as the World Movement Secretariat, and the intern will work with the Secretariat staff.
Position Summary: The World Movement is currently seeking an unpaid Intern for Summer 2017. The position is open to students enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate-level program in a related field and eligible to receive academic credit for the internship.
The team seeks an individual with strong research, writing, communication, and organizational skills who has a strong interest in democracy work internationally. Energetic, flexible team players who take initiative and who have knowledge of a foreign language (Arabic, French, Russian, or Spanish preferred) and overseas experience are encouraged to apply.
- Conduct research to track democracy-advancement efforts;
- Assist in updating the World Movement Web site and social media channels, conduct research for the World Movement's newsletter and draft alerts for activists facing danger.
- Support ongoing work on projects, such as the Civic Space Initiative and #SetThemFree campaign, as well as event logistics
- Attend lectures and roundtable discussions on democracy
- Candidate must be a registered student enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate-level program; able to receive college credit or transcript notation of participation in our program for each semester of the internship. An independent study option, if approved by your university is also possible.
- Qualified candidates should have excellent writing skills, strong analytical skills, maintain a strong work ethic and have sharp attention to detail.
- Students must also have proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook.
- Familiarity with social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr) and other programs (Photoshop, InDesign, Final Cut Pro) are a plus.
Time Commitment: 24-40 hrs./week (not to exceed 40 hours per week) for the duration of the internship
Travel Reimbursement: $10/day for commuter expenses
NED Application Deadline: n/a; All internships are posted until filled
Anticipated Start Date: o/a June 5, 2017
Orientation Dates: June 5-9, 2017
Anticipated End Date: August 25, 2017
Authorization: Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.