ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN III
7 days left
- Full Time
$1,627.20 - $2,486.40 Biweekly
$42,307.20 - $64,646.40 Annually
Job Type: Full-Time Location: 2100 Clarendon Blvd., Arlington, Virginia 22201, Virginia
Arlington County is seeking an experienced Engineering Technician to perform transportation-related technical and investigative work in the Transportation Engineering & Operations (TE&O) Bureau of the Department of Environmental Services. This position requires a working knowledge of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), and its use relative to traffic signs, pavement markings and street operations. The ideal employee in this position has the ability to use national standards and the County's standard practices as a guide to make quick decisions based on onsite operating conditions and sound technical judgment.
Specific duties include:
- Investigating, collecting and analyzing data related to traffic signs, pavement markings, parking, pedestrian activity, and multi-modal elements of the urban street network;
- Using the (MUTCD) to exercise judgment in making decisions regarding the type and placement of traffic signs, installation and location of pavement markings and other transportation engineering solutions to improve safety;
- Investigating, generating, and issuing right-of-way permits for construction equipment, PODS, block parties, moving vans, and other events that require temporary closure of the public right-of-way;
- Representing the TE&O Bureau as the transportation expert during the County's special events initiative where curb space usage is adjusted and roads are temporarily closed to accommodate events within the County's right-of-way;
- Understanding, applying, and communicating transportation codes and standards in order to respond to requests from stakeholders and citizens on-site and in writing; and
- Preparing graphic materials, reports, and documented operational decisions using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook, as well as specialized transportation engineering software such as AutoCAD and ArcView GIS.
Minimum: High school diploma, or the equivalent, plus two years of experience in transportation engineering operations, engineering technology, or a related field that included at least one year of using software such as MS Office Suite (or similar) to track work assignments, document findings and recommendations, and generate reports.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may substitute for up to two years of the education requirement on a year-for-year basis. Completion of college courses in engineering or other directly related field may be substituted for up to one year of experience on a year-for-year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Experience using Database Management Systems;
- Advanced experience using Microsoft Office Suite;
- Experience conducting transportation engineering studies;
- Working knowledge of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) and the Virginia Work Area Protection Manual (VAPM); and/or
- Undergraduate degree or coursework in an engineering field.
Special Requirements: The applicant must possess, or obtain by time of appointment, and maintain, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence. The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
Additional Information: Work Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Please complete each section of the application. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
NOTE: This position is listed as "open continuous." Interested applicants are advised to submit their applications as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed and qualified applicants referred on a continuous basis. Interviews will be conducted on a regular basis throughout the recruitment with candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. If your application is received later in the recruitment process, it may not be reviewed or considered. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.