The Bus Driver transports students over scheduled routes and/or to/from special excursions; ensures vehicle is in safe operating condition; and ensures safety of students during transport, loading and unloading from buses. This job reports to the Transportation Coordinator.
Paid training program includes CDL certification. Outstanding benefits program includes health insurance and Virginia Retirement System for full-time employees. Uniforms are provided.
- Education: High School diploma or equivalent.
- Experience: Job related experience desired. Good work history and driving record required.
- Certificates and Licenses (can be obtained through ACPS training program):
- Valid Class “B” Driver's License with Passenger Endorsement
- CDL 3rd party examiner (DMV)
- CPR/First Aid Certificate Recommended
- SET (State Efficient Transport) Certification Behavior Intervention
- Advises students and other passengers of appropriate behavior to reinforce regulations and maintain passenger safety.
- Assesses incidents, complaints, accidents and/or potential emergency situations (e.g. road hazards, medical emergencies, accidents, etc.) and resolves and/or recommends a resolution to the situation.
- Assists students and other passengers in safe loading and unloading from buses during both emergency situations and normal transport.
- Attends meetings, classroom and behind the wheel training, safety meetings, in service, administrative conferences, etc. to maintain skills and meet the certificate requirements of a school bus driver.
- Conducts emergency evacuation drills to ensure efficiency of procedures and comply with mandated requirements.
- Transports passengers over scheduled routes to and from school and/or field trips in a safe and timely manner.
- Monitors students and other passengers during transit to maintain safety and follow district policy.
- Performs pre-trip and post-trip inspections (e.g. fluid levels, tire pressure, exterior condition, mirrors, etc.) to ensure the safe operating condition of the vehicle and comply with mandated guidelines.
- Prepares documents and reports (e.g. monthly manifest, incident/accident reports, inspections records, passenger misconduct, mileage logs, student counts, route description updates, maintenance orders, logs, etc.).
- Reports observations and/or incidents (e.g. discipline, inappropriate social behavior, etc.) to appropriate personnel.
- Responds to inquiries (e.g. students, parents, other school personnel, etc.) to provide information and/or direction.
- Secures students as assigned (e.g. car seats, wheelchairs, restraints, etc.) to ensure their safety during transport.
- Assists children with disabilities on and off the bus.
- Assists with snow removal on/around buses to ensure buses maintain established schedules.
- Cleans assigned vehicles, both interior and exterior to ensure safety, appearance, and sanitation of vehicle.
- Lifts student and/or equipment (e.g. wheelchairs, car seats, restraints, seat belts, etc.) to position or reposition students as appropriate.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, to ensure the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.