Principal - High School
**DO NOT APPLY THROUGH ACPS**
To be considered for this opportunity, please apply through executive search firm Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates. Applications can be submitted at the following website:
Screening is ongoing and immediate with a start date of June/July 2017.
Alexandria City Public Schools (ACPS) is seeking a dynamic instructional leader as Principal of T. C. Williams High School, the subject of the inspirational Disney movie, Remember the Titans. Alexandria is a historic seaport community located on the Potomac River overlooking our Nation's Capital. Rich in history, yet firmly focused on the future, ACPS is committed to making a difference for every child.
T.C. Williams High School is home to over 3,500 students and 286 staff members and is a school on the rise. The state of the art, award-winning facility is environmentally sensitive and serves grades 9-12 on two campuses. ACPS celebrates the diversity of its growing student body and has students from more than 80 different countries, speaking more than 60 languages and representing a rainbow of ethnic and cultural groups. T. C. Williams enjoys a reputation for strong academic programs, a talented faculty, and a dedicated PTA. Technology is a priority and each student has a tablet; each teacher receives a laptop and a tablet.
The Principal the development of the school vision, establishes and maintains the school philosophy and educational programs while serving as the instructional leader consistent with community characteristics and school division goals and practices.
This position reports to the Director of Secondary Instruction.
- Education: Master's degree in related field.
- Certificates & Licenses: Valid Virginia Department of Education license required, or eligibility to obtain one, with an endorsement in Administration and Supervision.
- Experience: Minimum of three years of successful experience as a teacher and/or administrator. A performance record that demonstrates high integrity, vision, innovation, enthusiasm and a strong commitment to diverse schools.
- Advises the administration on activities in the school for the purpose of submission of required reports and responds to administration's written and oral requests for information.
- Assures the proper evaluation of student progress and the effectiveness of the program for the purpose of determining what practices or objectives to maintain or modify.
- Collaboratively develops and implements a school improvement plan for the purpose of supporting increased student success.
- Communicates for the purpose of establishing and maintaining a professional relationship within the school/school division and with parents, employees and community.
- Communicates a clear vision of excellence and pursues that excellence in a manner for the purpose of providing consistency with the goals of the school division.
- Coordinates and supervises all extracurricular programs for the purpose of maintaining high standards of student conduct and enforcing discipline.
- Coordinates the daily operations for the purpose of maintaining the safety of the facility/office/departments and responsibly and efficiently manages fiscal and/or other resources.
- Cultivates and facilitates for the purpose of providing leadership development in staff members through the provision of leadership opportunities.
- Directs the establishment of maintaining of the school philosophy and educational program for the purpose of consistency with community characteristics and school division goals and practices and implements and enforces School Broad policies and regulations.
- Practices ethical standards appropriate to the profession for the purpose of ethically resolving issues and promotes a climate of collaboration and collegiality.
- Prepares the school budget for the purpose of monitoring the expenditure of funds, providing for adequate inventories of school property and for the security of and accountability for that property, and for assuming responsibility for the safety, security and appearance of the school plant.
- Provides direction and support for the purpose of accomplishing instructional, curricular, and/or program requirements.
- Reviews programs and services for the purpose of assessing how will they meet the needs of students/employees/school division.
- Selects, instructs, supports, and evaluates for the purpose of retaining quality instructional and support personnel.
- Selects, orients, assigns, supervises and evaluates staff for the purpose of attaining the objectives of the educational program.
- Uses problem solving techniques for the purpose of identifying, analyzing, and resolving problems.
- Utilizes a variety of data sources for the purpose of making informed decisions for enhancing student/employee/program performance.
- Performs other tasks and assumes such other responsibilities as may be required for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment.