For 25 years, HAND has served as the only regional membership association dedicated to supporting the community development industry in its efforts to increase the supply of affordable housing in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. Through education, engagement and training, HAND builds the capacity of its diverse membership comprised of nonprofit and for-profit housing developers, resident service providers, lenders, government agencies, policy analysts and others, to support the development of sustainable communities for people and families at all income levels.
The Communications Intern will be a valued member of the HAND team working directly on the organization's internal and external identity through a variety of media. Candidates whose area of expertise includes one or more of the following skill sets are welcome to apply: Graphic Design, Social Media, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing and Communications. This internship is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable hands-on experience in communications work across a variety of media during this exciting time with the organization
- Support outreach to the print, broadcast and online media.
- Build and update media lists, as needed.
- Draft and edit copy for media materials, including press releases, media alerts, notifications to press.
- Review and supply background on incoming media opportunities, including HAROs, media email inquiries.
- Track media coverage, develop media reports and identify ways to highlight media hits to membership.
- Support social media strategy to build engagement across social media platforms.
- Help execute social media editorial calendar, provide insight into new opportunities.
- Assist in conducting outreach within the association membership base to acquire content for web site and blog postings.
- Research industry trends and current events within the region to help leverage activities pertaining to broader HAND membership.
- Draft and edit marketing collateral, such as web copy, member spotlights, e-newsletter blurbs and training and meeting handouts, etc.
- Contribute toward the strategic positioning and messaging documents.
- Organize and oversee internal image library, providing and editing images as needed for marketing and media efforts.
- Assist with the refresh of online graphics, ensuring deliverables fall within the organizational brand guidelines.
- Support the design of print pieces such as brochures, flyers, event signage and posters.
- Traffic coordination. Help staff meet deadlines for external design consultants.
- Work with the staff to conceptualize and design digital pieces such as social media banners and e-blast templates.
- Provide editing services on all.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be currently pursuing a degree in communications, journalism or comparable field.
- Must have excellent writing, editing and communications skills.
- Proficient in using the Adobe Creative Suite (Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Bridge) and WordPress (or similar CMS platforms).
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Must be well organized, professional and have the discipline to work remotely.
- Must have the ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced work environment.
- Must have the ability to work productively both on a team environment and independently.
- Must own your computer with Adobe Creative Suite Package.
- Hands-on experience in non-profit marketing and communications work across a variety of media.
- Resume-building experience and references.
- Inside experience with a highly active and professional organization.
- Intern will expand their understanding of the Washington, DC metropolitan region's community development industry.
- Credit is available upon request.