Security Engineer (837-679)
6 days left
- Full Time
The Security Engineer serves as key team member on the Information Technology (IT) Security team. As part of the IT Security team, the Security Engineer will help secure the efforts of USP’s global public health mission by keeping computer systems and network devices hardened against attacks and securing highly sensitive data.
The Security Engineer is responsible for implementing, monitoring, and supporting systems that protect USP. Other responsibilities include ensuring systems and networks have adequate security to prevent unauthorized access; developing reports to share with system owners and administrators regarding the efficacy of security policies and any recommended changes; and produce and maintain security documentation
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Design computer security architecture and develop detailed cyber security designs in collaboration with the Manager, IT Security
- Engineer, implement and monitor security measures for the protection of global computer systems, networks and information
- Identify and define system security requirements
- Prepare and document standard operating procedures and protocols
- Configure and troubleshoot security infrastructure devices
- Develop technical solutions and new security tools to help mitigate security vulnerabilities and automate repeatable tasks
- Perform security monitoring and incident response
- Write comprehensive reports including assessment-based findings, outcomes and propositions for further system security enhancement
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or a relevant field required; Equivalent combination of education and relevant experience may be replaced.
- Minimum of 5 years of IT experience with at least 3 of those in IT security for a mid to large size organization
- GCIH, GCIA, CISSP certifications preferred
- Thorough understanding of the latest security principles, techniques, and protocols
- Familiarity with web related technologies (Web applications, Web Services, Service Oriented Architectures) and of network/web related protocols
- Problem solving skills and ability to work under pressure
- Configuration and Administration of commercial firewall products such as Palo Alto or Checkpoint
- Application of vulnerability scanning tools such as Nessus
- Intrusion Detection Systems such as Snort
- Data analysis using tools such as Splunk or ELK
- Proficiency at the command line for both Linux and Windows environments
- Ability to produce quality documents, procedures, reports, and other written documentation
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience implementing security controls for information systems
- Detailed technical knowledge of database and operating system security
- Hands on experience in security systems, including firewalls, intrusion detection systems, anti-virus software, authentication systems, log management, content filtering, and related technologies
- Experience with network security and networking technologies and with system, security, and network monitoring tools
- Experience handling multiple projects simultaneously in a dynamic, deadline-oriented environment with ability to reach decisions in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated analytical skills to critically evaluate the information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from detailed information to a more general understanding
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular