Research and Statistics Summer Intern
The Food Research and Action Center (FRAC) seeks an intern to work with FRAC's nutrition policy and early childhood programs team in the summer of 2017. The intern will work with the team to develop a report focused on nutrition policy.
FRAC is the leading national nonprofit organization working to improve and implement effective public policies and public-private partnerships to eradicate hunger and undernutrition in the United States. FRAC engages in research, technical assistance, information dissemination, policy analysis and advocacy, coalition-building, and an array of communications strategies. FRAC works in partnership with hundreds of national, state and local nonprofit organizations, public agencies, corporations and labor organizations to address hunger and food insecurity, and poverty as their root cause.
Skills and Qualifications
- Must at least be a junior or a senior working towards a bachelor's degree or higher in public health, nutrition, public policy or other relevant area.
- Experience and/or demonstrated interest in food insecurity, child health, poverty, nutrition policy and/or nutrition-related issues.
- Experience with processing and analyzing data in Excel or statistical programs (e.g., Stata, R, Python, SPSS).
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Understanding of hunger and poverty and their impact upon communities, families, and individuals.
- Commitment to working for social justice.
Responsibilities and Potential Projects
- Assist with analysis of national, state, or local federal nutrition program and/or food insecurity data.
- Track and analyze trends of the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) and Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) to create advocacy tools and state & national data reports.
- Assist nutrition policy and early childhood program team with additional research needs.
This internship may be done either to meet course /program requirements or as a volunteer. If this is done on a volunteer basis, FRAC will reimburse commuting expenses up to $500.
The start and end dates of the internship are flexible, but the ideal candidate will be available for an 8 week internship. Interns are expected to work at least 20 hours per week.