Principal Software Engineer
- Full Time
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Vets and Disabled
No. Vacancies: 1.00
Department: 16405.Information Systems
Location: McLean, VA
Travel %: None
Education: Two years of college or technical school
Experience: At least 5 years of experience required
Equivalency: Equivalent combination of education & experience not considered
Does this position have direct reports: No
Join an innovative team that is responsible for transforming the customer experience by creating and bringing to market new products and services based upon globalized connectivity without boundaries. We reach beyond the traditional satellite industry and the broader communications landscape. As part of the Intelsat vision, we will define new products with the performance, features, and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers who will continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Primary Purpose Of The Position
The Principal Software Engineer position is for a solid full stack web developer with at least 5 years of experience to conduct requirements analysis, architectural and detail design, coding, implementation, testing and maintenance of cutting edge satellite management tools leveraging on highly integrated complex backend information systems. In this group (Satellite Control Systems), these systems support the ground network system, i.e. real time telemetry processing, commanding and flight dynamics systems. The position also include identifying and resolving systems software and hardware issues as well as identifying and implementing process improvements and team training in latest web technology.
- Perform all functions across the entire development cycle (detailed analysis, design, coding, testing, deployment, and production support) with the primary focus on analysis, design, and development
- Consult with Lead Architect and key stakeholders to discuss business requirements and potential solutions
- Collaboration with Business Units, and external and internal vendors
- Participate in code reviews and acceptance process in order to improve methodology and delivery
- Perform unit testing and identify, troubleshoot and solve code-related issues as needed
- Contribute to the development of project estimates, scheduling and deliverables
- Develop documentation and perform post implementation support
- Collaborate with IT managers and Technical Leads to track and report progress
- Research and assess new technology for use in satellite control systems development and implementation.
- Continuously strive to improve the Systems Development Life Cycle.
- Assist SCS management with technical and administrative issues as needed.
- Develop training for other member of the team in area of expertise.
Required Knowledge And Skills
- A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 5+ years of experience working in application development
- In-depth and current experience with Linux-based development
- Ability to communicate effectively with audiences of any level of technical knowledge (high or low)
- Strong ability and desire to quickly learn new technologies
- Proven track record on delivery
- Experience with scrum and Agile software development methodologies
- Understanding of the full lifecycle development process, including understanding business and functional requirements
- Broad knowledge of computer network, hardware / software interface and protocols, and operating systems
- Experience in developing testing strategies and plans, testing methods and configuration management procedures.
- Experience with user interface (UI) and/or user experience (UX) design a plus
- Experience with C++, Java, and or Python a plus
- Experience with Ground and Satellite systems a plus
- This position requires ITAR access; all candidates must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.