Supervisory Security Guard
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
Note: Competition for Security Guard positions is restricted by law to persons entitled to veterans' preference as long as such applicants are available for appointment.
About the Position:The incumbent serves as a Supervisory Security Guard, overseeing all functions of the guard force on Fort Detrick, performing access control and patrol duties in accordance with appropriate regulations to detect and prevent theft, damage, accident, trespass, sabotage and espionage and to enforce the security regulations of the installation. Fort Detrick is a premier quad-service installation in Frederick, MD. It is one-hour drive from Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD and adjoins Virginia, and Pennsylvania. The post offers a free on-site fitness center, indoor/outdoor pools, free parking, child/day care facility, running track, volleyball and tennis courts, and dining accommodations. Comprehensive benefits are offered, and supervisors may approve options to work flex-time or adjusted work schedules. To learn more about Fort Detrick, please visit the website at http://www.detrick.army.mil
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
- Occasional Travel
- Business travel up to 5% of the time
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Experience required: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To qualify at the GS-08 level:
Specialize Experience: To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level GS-07 which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: 1.) Distributing or assigning work; 2.) Controlling access or Patrolling restricted and limited access areas; 3.) Providing on-the-job training; and 4.) Leading or supervising a group.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, and abilities) in the following areas:
- Knowledge of Security Guard duties
- Ability to Communicate
- Ability to Supervise
- Personnel Management
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year Supervisory trial/probationary period may be required.
- Two years trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
Conditions of Employment:
- IAW AR 190-56, Incumbent must be proficient in the use of assigned firearms/weapons, pass an initial qualification, and must qualify semi-annually thereafter in the use of assigned firearms/weapons.
- Must obtain and maintain certification in the Individual Reliability Program.
- IAW AR 600-85, a DA Form 5019-R Condition of Employment must be completed for mandatory drug testing wherein incumbent agrees to submit to a urinalysis on a recurring basis, in accordance with AR 600-85.
- Shift work is required, or a change in work shift may be necessary. Hours of work encompass fluctuating tours of duty to include evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. Overtime may be required as directed and is subject to recall for periods of emergency overtime.
- Must be willing to work in all types of weather and able to report to work and/or remain at work in the event of inclement weather
- Incumbent must undergo and pass pre-employment and annual medical exams of physical, emotional and mental stability.
- Incumbent must successfully obtain and maintain current required CPR certifications and First Aid training.
- Incumbent may be required to wear chemical protection masks, gloves, and other protective equipment, and may be required to be certified in the use of aerosol irritants and baton.
- Incumbent will be required to pass entry level fitness and annual re-certification of standard Physical Agility Test (PAT).
- Incumbent must possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
- Incumbent must wear prescribed uniform.
NOTE: THIS POSITION IS COVERED BY THE 1996 LAUTENBERG AMENDMENT TO THE GUN CONTROL ACT OF 1968. PERSONS CONVICTED OF A MISDEMEANOR OR FELONY CRIME OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE POSITION.