Manager - Strategic Initiatives
Job Title: Manager - Strategic Initiatives
Job ID: 170071 Location: DC-Jackson Graham Bldg-5th Fl
Posting Open-Close 03/15/2017
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Regular/Temporary: Regular Job Description
All WMATA posted job openings are available through 11:59 pm the night before the noted Close Date. To ensure successful submission of application applicants are encouraged to apply well before this cut-off. The noted Close Date is the date on which the posting is automatically removed from the website as of 12:00am at which time submission of an application is no longer possible. (WMATA reserves the right to remove postings at any time without notice as business needs demand.)
NOTE: Applicants who have already applied do not need to re-apply.
Department Marketing Statement:
Metro is seeking a candidate with excellent data analysis skills to lead critical business improvement projects under the Chief Operating Officer to improve efficiency, safety and quality delivery. The right candidate should have an inquiring mind, able to build relationships across teams, and have extensive knowledge and applied experience of data systems, data management, and a wide range of applied quantitative and qualitative data research techniques, including experimental design, data collection and controls, data analysis and data visualization. The ideal candidate will possess expertise in Microsoft Excel and computer programming.
- A Bachelor's degree in Science, Public Administration or Business Administration.
- A minimum of six (6) years of demonstrated experience in data analysis, including complex statistical and budgetary analysis
- A minimum of three (3) years of demonstrated experience in project management in a large organization
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification
- A Master's degree in Science, Public Administration or Business Administration.
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
This position has responsibility for leading the implementation of, and/or supporting high-profile initiatives to improve agency economic efficiency, service quality and overall performance aligned with the vision, strategy and goals of the Authority. Duties include, but are not limited to, identifying and scoping key business challenges across the organization, managing and coordinating strategic projects, building relationships across departments to facilitate collaboration, gathering and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data to identify business process improvement opportunities, supporting and monitoring the implementation of recommendations, and communicating this process and the findings across the organization.
- Leads the design, management, coordination and control of major departmental business improvement projects that deliver economic efficiencies, and improve productivity, safety and performance.
- Designs, conducts and coordinates advanced data analysis and presents findings and recommendations to direct the Authority’s response to critical operational and administrative problems, including but not limited to the following: budgetary analyses, reviews of work systems and procedures, development of performance standards and measures, workflow and economic analysis, productivity analysis, inventory planning, contract management, and organizational configuration management.
- Oversees and manages the department’s strategic approach to data analysis, balancing the need for projects to be data-driven and evidence-based alongside the business need to deliver results in a timely manner that impact on performance and delivery.
- Proactively examines existing internal operational and administrative processes, and identifies opportunities for improvement across the Chief’s department.
- Builds and manages multiple agile teams comprising external internship candidates, colleagues from departments being supported on projects, and other external personnel or personnel from across the Authority based on the skill requirements of specific projects, including but not limited to engineers, analysts, technicians and inspectors.
- Builds collaborative partnerships with internal and external partners to enhance the capacity and capabilities of the Chief’s department to identify and deliver innovative solutions to critical business problems.
- Supports the implementation, monitoring and assessment of corrective action plans from internal and external departments.
- Regularly produces analytical reports relating to organizational and project-based delivery to inform the Chief’s strategic decision-making.
- Supports the Principal Strategic Program Manager to plan, coordinate and oversee the department’s overall administrative, financial and operational activities, procedures and staff.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Credit history report for positions with fiduciary responsibilities
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.