Position Title: Communications Intern - Writer (Unpaid)
Primary Duties: Writing (online and print), social media engagement, graphics
Time Commitment: 20 hours per week
Supervised by: Strategic Communications Director
Are you ready to take put your communications and writing skills to work at a Washington, D.C. non-profit? If so, DBIA needs you. We're located on Pennsylvania Avenue just blocks from the White House and a quick walk from the U.S. Capitol and metro. The Design-Build Institute of America is a national non-profit membership association representing the entire spectrum of design and construction professions including; architects, engineers, owners, and more.
DBIA needs an intelligent, strategic, and resourceful intern to help us improve our quarterly magazine content, expand our online presence, encourage engagement and improve our membership communications. As a Communications Intern at DBIA you will be given the opportunity to garner broad practical experience across the many different responsibilities of a non-profit communicator. You will be a storyteller, content creator, and strategic messenger using both print and online channels. The Communications Intern will work in these main areas: social media (including graphic creation), public relations, issue research and magazine article writing.
- Assist in writing articles for DBIA's quarterly magazine, Integration Quarterly
- Copy editing
- Assist in developing social media content (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, DBIA Blog)
- Create Graphics, particularly for social media and events promotion
- Help prepare videos and other presentation materials, as needed
- Complete a variety of communications projects as assigned
- Ability to prioritize tasks and focus on multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously
- Ability to interact professionally with stakeholders and media and demonstrate good judgment.
- Reports to Director of Strategic Communications
Qualified candidates will be/have
- Excellent written and verbal communication, strong editing skills
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented with strong written, verbal & organizational skills
- Excellent computer skills with experience in social media & Microsoft Office
- Photo editing and graphic creation experience
- The ability to work independently and with others
- Dependability, flexibility, and a sense of humor
- The ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Openness to learning and growing within the internship experience
Compensation: This is an unpaid internship. DBIA will offer a travel stipend.
Ideal candidate is an undergraduate (junior or senior) or graduate student in public relations, marketing, or communications.
Location & Hours
Design-Build Institute of America
1331 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 2004
20 hours per week for a four-month minimum commitment. The organization's normal business hours are Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Specific days and number of hours are flexible and can be negotiated based on class load.
- This internship will allow the student to put their classroom knowledge to work in a
professional work setting garnering real-world experience.
- You definitely won't be a file clerk in this job!
- Build your portfolio and professional contacts in a respected Washington non-profit
- School credit, depending on your school's requirements