DESIGN ENGINEER (2 VACANCIES)
7 days left
- Full Time
$2,140.80 - $4,254.40 Biweekly
$55,660.80 - $110,614.40 Annually
Job Type: Full-Time Location: 2100 Clarendon Blvd., Arlington *METRO-accessible*, Virginia
The Department of Environmental Services is seeking two experienced Engineers to work within their Engineering Bureau. The Bureau provides full-scale, in-house surveying, design, and construction management services for public works capital improvement projects. Both positions will be responsible for completing in-house design from concept planning to final design and working with consultants who perform design for projects.
One Design Engineer will be responsible for the implementation of a variety of projects including transportation, stormwater, sanitary sewer, water main, and other infrastructure projects.
The other Engineer is a Transportation Design Engineer and will be responsible for multimodal transportation and associated stormwater drainage projects. These projects are complex with competing interests in a constrained urban environment, and range from $100,000 to $5 million in overall costs.
Specific duties for both include:
- Participating in project scoping and preparing concept plans;
- Independently developing designs using Autodesk Civil3D software and creating construction plans for all aspects of public works projects;
- Developing construction specifications and special conditions documents;
- Coordinating with County, State, and Federal regulatory agencies and obtaining stormwater and land use permits;
- Determining property acquisition and easement needs and providing required or supporting information to surveyors and real estate specialists;
- Preparing construction cost estimates and managing procurement and bidding of projects;
- Providing technical support during construction and responding to Requests for Information;
- Reviewing the work of outside consultants who provide design services on selected projects;
- Using various modeling software in the design and analysis of civil engineering systems and components; and
- Presenting projects for in-house review or to citizen's groups.
Minimum (Senior Engineer Level): A Bachelor's degree in Engineering plus significant experience in the design of public works capital improvement projects using Autodesk Civil3D or similar CAD software in the areas of site planning, street design, storm water management, sanitary sewer design, water distribution or related areas.
Minimum (Project Engineer Level): A Bachelor's degree in Engineering plus some experience in the design of public works capital improvement projects under the supervision of a Professional Engineer using Autodesk Civil3D or similar CAD software in the areas of site planning, street design, storm water management, sanitary sewer design, water distribution or related areas.
Minimum (Junior Engineer Level): A Bachelor's degree in Engineering plus experience using Autodesk Civil3D or similar CAD software.
Substitution: Experience may not be substituted for the Engineering Degree requirement.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the Commonwealth of Virginia;
- Designing urban street rehabilitation projects;
- Preparing construction contract documents;
- Conducting presentations to stakeholders including citizens and government officials; and/or
- Master's degree in Civil Engineering.
Each section of the application must be completed. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
This position is part of a broadband, competency based pay plan which encompasses a variety of responsibility levels from junior (Engineer I) through senior (Engineer V) and for which the overall annual salary range is $55,660.80 - $110,614.40. Individuals appointed to positions in this pay plan will be appointed at a salary based on their experience and training and the nature of the work assigned. Within pay guidelines, pay plan participants are eligible for variable salary increases based on performance, growth in responsibilities, and employee development on a yearly basis.
Employees that are registered as a Professional Engineer will be eligible for an additional pay premium of $2,600 annually.