Senior Java Developer
7 days left
- Full Time
Senior Java Developer
Office of Information Technology
Exempt, Regular, Full-Time, Pay Grade 3.5
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks a Senior Java Developer in the Office of Information Technology. Reporting to the Development Manager of Solutions Design & Development, the Senior Java Developer will apply technical expertise and J2EE development skills to design and develop robust solutions. The Senior Java Developer will be responsible for the implementation of high volume, high performance web services and application development in a complex Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) environment. The selected candidate will provide strong technical leadership, technical mentoring and guidance to other development team members in support of the development efforts. In addition, the selected candidate will also develop software based on UNIX and Windows platforms, requiring excellent Java EE design and development skills.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Apply technical expertise and J2EE development skills to design and develop robust solutions.
- Be responsible for the implementation of high volume, high performance web services and application development in a complex Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) environment.
- Develop software based on UNIX and Windows platforms, requiring excellent Java EE design and development skills.
- Provide strong technical leadership, technical mentoring and guidance to other development team members in support of the development efforts.
- Research, recommend and apply new technologies as they emerge.
- Analyze information and evaluate the results to choose the best solution to resolve problems.
- Ability to independently research potential technical solutions resulting in recommendations for POCs or solution delivery.
- Develop proof of concepts (POCs) as needed during the requirements and design phases to evaluate products and integration strategies.
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills to be able to discuss technical concepts with others to include business analysts, quality assurance engineers as well as technical team members.
- Work with technical teams and senior technical architects to finalize architecture specification and create design.
- Work in an Agile environment with cross-functional roles focused on delivering relevant business applications in every sprint.
- Participate in developmental projects for various client-side and back-end applications in a service oriented environment.
- Assist in analyzing and reviewing requirements, agile-like stories, use cases, associated test cases and test data.
- Facilitate design and technical approaches based on requirements.
- Participate in requirements, design, QA test plans and code reviews.
- Develop Java EE components in a Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) environment.
- Perform all programming functions to accomplish specific application solution requirements.
- Develop functional and unit test code and other solution elements as per requirements and design.
- Verify the accuracy and validity of all software developed, including unit testing, the preparation of sample test data and the execution of program, job stream, and system testing.
- Prepare builds and deployment packages, along with detailed deployment and operational documentation covering errors and recovery procedures.
- Prepare documentation covering technical approaches, system design, system functionality, code, errors, support, deployment and recovery procedures.
- Assist in identifying, troubleshooting, and resolving defects encountered during various stages of testing and production, including during the deployment and implementation of the code in QA and production environments.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher learning.
Ten years of work experience, with four (4+) or more years direct experience developing Java-based software; application development; and direct experience developing solutions with J2EE, servlets and containers (e.g. JBOSS, Tomcat), web services (SOA), SOAP, WSDL, REST; Familiarity with automated build environments (e.g. Maven), databases (e.g. MySQL, Oracle, NoSql), iterative development, cloud based solutions.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science
Experienced with code and configuration management, working with SCM systems (e.g. Git/GitHub, Subversion), experience using Continuous Integration Software (e.g. Jenkins, Team City, CruiseControl, Hudson, Bamboo); Comfortable following iterative and/or agile methods.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED. SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.