Senior Associate Director of Development, Gift Planning - Office of Advancement
The Senior Associate Director of Development, Gift Planning is a frontline fundraising position with specific expertise in the area of gift planning. The successful candidate will identify, cultivate, steward and solicit planned gifts on behalf of Georgetown University. This position will consult regularly with major gift officers who are based in the schools and units, and will also partner with members of the regional major gifts team as they endeavor to cultivate planned gifts on behalf of Georgetown. Duties include but are not limited to:
Fundraising and Portfolio Management
- Manages a portfolio of around 150 planned giving donors and potential donors, which includes developing and executing strategies for identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship that results in advancing the University's relationship with the donor. Meets overall goal of $3-5 million annually in documented countable gifts, at least 10 new confirmed bequest expectancy, at least 120 high-quality in-person visits per year with planned giving prospects and $6-10 million dollars in proposals per year.
- Assists prospective donors and their advisers in meeting their philanthropic objectives and documenting gift details.
- Builds portfolio of 75 individuals in first year.
- Assists in coordinating and staffing gift planning events including estate planning seminars, Reunions and John Carroll Weekend, etc.
Provide Secondary Support to Front-line Development Staff
- Collaborates with other development officers where prospective donors may be considering or have the potential for planned gifts. Provides high-level technical expertise as appropriate.
- Partners with assigned regional and school/unit development officers to cultivate, solicit and steward planned gifts.
- Prepares 10 proposals annually for development officers.
- Conducts joint visits with development officers for prospective planned giving donors when appropriate.
Assist with Planned Giving Marketing Efforts
- Assists the team in implementing a marketing plan to secure planned gifts. Help create and coordinate distribution of assigned newsletters, articles, direct mail, brochures, invitations and other marketing materials.
- Assists in designing and developing mailings.
- Responds to marketing inquiries as assigned.
- Assists in production of marketing inserts for Georgetown Magazine, Georgetown Law, Nursing & Health Sciences Horizons, Georgetown Medicine and Library Associates.
- Assists in planning and staffing gift planning and general University special events.
Other duties as assigned
- General stewardship efforts for gift planning donors.
- Assists in providing training opportunities for staff and other internal audiences.
- Bachelor's required, JD preferred
- 3 or more years of progressively more responsible professional experience in gift planning, development, or elated advancement areas; and a demonstrated track record in gift planning and general fundraising
- Thorough knowledge of gift planning vehicles and tax codes related to gift and estate planning
- Strong computer skills including all Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Proficiency on a CRM or database system
- Experience with PG Calc, Crescendo or other planned giving software
- Strong relationship building and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively both with the University's external and internal partners
- Commitment to the mission, philosophy and values of Georgetown University
- Comfort with technical conversations involving financial or legal concepts
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong analytic skills and attention to detail
- Commitment to working in a team environment
- High degree of integrity and discretion
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Please select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or email@example.com.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.