Senior Principal Solutions Architect, OTT Solutions
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Vets and Disabled
No. Vacancies: 1.00
Department: 17125.Innovation & Service Architecture
Travel %: Less than 20%
Education: Four-year college degree
Experience: At least 10 years of experience required
Equivalency: Equivalent combination of education & experience considered
Does this position have direct reports: No
Join an innovative team that is responsible for transforming the customer experience by creating and bringing to market new products and services based upon globalized connectivity without boundaries. We reach beyond the traditional satellite industry and the broader communications landscape. As part of the Intelsat vision, we will define new products with the performance, features, and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers to fill this role and continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
As part of the Innovation and Service Architecture team, the candidate's primary role will be to develop technical and service architectures of innovative new OTT and CDN products and platforms that enable customers of Intelsat's media products to enjoy optimized and simplified workflows in online content delivery. Such products and platforms will leverage virtual, software and cloud-based technologies, eco-system partners, and build on and enhance Intelsat's IP/MPLS network, satellite fleet and broadband and media platforms.
- Provide technical leadership and direction to evaluate technology options and to formulate new and innovative OTT and CDN product designs that leverage Intelsat's network assets and meet and exceed customer expectations.
- Develop end-to-end solutions and system architectures that include clear specifications of all design parameters, clear concepts of operations, detailed cost evaluation and other requirements to input into a full business case.
- Interact with cross functional teams and eco-system partners to ensure successful execution of new product initiatives in accordance with Intelsat's product development process.
- Lead design and implementation of Proof of Concept (POC) testing to qualify and validate technologies, architectures solutions and features.
- Engage with vendors and eco-system partners to articulate architecture, designs and goals of the various projects to enable the development of product solutions leveraging state-of-art and best-of-breed technologies and processes.
- Collaborate with and support the Product Management team to develop solutions that meet and exceed business expectations.
- Develop write-ups and presentations to articulate designs, report on activity results and support business cases, and participate in presenting and in securing management buy-in of the designed solutions.
- Coordinate the designed solutions with Network Engineering, IT and Operations teams, help in identifying resource/skills gaps, and support these teams in the implementation of the designed solutions.
- Participate in industry event and forums to meet with eco-system partners, monitor technology trends, and contribute to the development of new standards and protocols.
- Foster environment of ideation and innovation to cultivate new solution concepts.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- The candidate should have 10+ years' experience in streaming media and CDNs with focus on architecting online video content delivery solutions, including underlying infrastructure technologies (compute, storage, and network).
- Independent, quick learner and self-starter, with a willingness to dive in and learn constantly to be successful on the job. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and speaking) and ability to work independently. Team leading/coordination skills and proven success working cross functionally. A proven track record of demonstrating good business judgement, an ability to make decisions based on strategic thinking and planning, and a passion for excellence.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Information System Management or relevant field.
- Experience working with or within major CDN's is a plus.
- Strong background in Internet technologies and protocols such as HTTP/HTTPS, DNS, web architectures, browser/client technologies, media streaming (Video/Audio) and content delivery networks.
- Working knowledge of live/linear streaming services and formats (HLS, HDS, HSS, DASH), Digital Advertising, Closed Captioning or Web Subtitling, DRM, current digital video compression standards (H.264 and H.265) and file types.
- Working experience with broadcast automation, metadata, caching, storage, and online security.
- Experience with SDN/NFV and cloud computing platforms (AWS, Openstack, Azure etc.) is a plus.
- Knowledge and experience with databases and data analysis
- This position requires ITAR access; all candidates must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.