Intermittent Program Assistant - Distinctive Voices
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (“the National Academies”) are private, nonprofit institutions that provide expert advice on some of the most pressing challenges facing the nation and the world. Our work helps shape sound policies, inform public opinion, and advance the pursuit of science, engineering, and medicine. The Academies bring together leaders from academia, industry, government and other sectors to provide cogent, unbiased advice to the government and citizens of the United States.
The National Academy of Sciences Executive Office (NASEO) is responsible for the Academy's membership activities and meetings, its governing council, its scientific programs, and the publication of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Launched in 2006, the Distinctive Voices public science lecture series highlights innovations, discoveries, and emerging issues in an exciting and engaging public forum. These topics are explored by some of the best minds in the world —including members of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine—in presentations geared to the general public.
---THIS IS AN INTERMITTENT POSITION---
Performs clerical and administrative duties. Coordinates logistical and administrative aspects of meetings. Writes, edits, and formats routine correspondence. May participate in research efforts including collection, assembly, and tabulation of data, as well as researching and summarizing literature.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Performs clerical and administrative tasks including word processing, mail merges, excel files, copying, faxing, filing, answering and screening calls, writing and editing correspondence, and compiling and coordinating mailings.
2. Assists in the coordination of logistical arrangements for meetings and conferences. Assembles and reproduces meeting binders and other conference materials. Provides administrative support for meetings.
3. Provides assistance at meetings and resolves issues. May send conference communications to conference participants when needed. Inputs conference participant logistics data into the registration database.
4. Makes meeting participant travel arrangements, resolves travel, hotel and transportation issues on-site during meetings. Prepares vouchers and reviews and processes travel expense reports for conferences and meetings.
5. Inputs edits and proofreads reports. Formats text and publications. Coordinates with printers/publishers to have materials printed.
6. Responds to inquiries and follows-up on communications. Communicates with members, sponsors, or other external customers, answering questions and providing information.
7. Attends meetings, training classes, and workshops.
8. Assists with the maintenance of program registration database. Inputs/updates conference participant data. Performs queries and reports from the database.
9. Performs duties related to donor relations. Prepares invitations to special events, orders and distributes appreciation gifts, recognizes and greets donors at meetings.
10. Assist other NASEO staff with additional projects as needed throughout the year on an intermittent basis.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Excellent communication and customer service skills. Professional demeanor. Familiar with Windows based computer software.
Experience in hospitality, customer service, or event operations.
If you already have an account created with the Academies, to apply to this position, click “Add to my Jobs” with your login information. If this is your first time applying with the Academies, please click “Apply for this position” below.