Summer Internship, Chesapeake Climate Action Network
With a Trump presidency, state-based climate action has never been more important. It's the collective fortress of the environmental movement.
And state-based, people-powered, climate action is what we do here at CCAN.APPLY NOW TO SPEND YOUR SUMMER INTERNING WITH US:
To apply, send your resume, cover letter and writing sample to email@example.com. Please include the city you will be living in this summer in the body of your email. The deadline to apply is March 31st, 2017.ABOUT CCAN
We're the largest and oldest grassroots group fighting for bold and just solutions to climate change in the Chesapeake region of Virginia, Washington DC, and Maryland.
We've put a stop to new coal plants in Virginia, expanded clean energy in Washington DC, and pressed the pause button on fracking in Maryland.OUR CAMPAIGNS
In 2017, we're going to keep fighting: to stop massive fracked-gas pipelines across the farms and forests of Virginia, to put a nation-leading and equitable price on carbon in DC, and to place a permanent, statewide, ban on fracking in Maryland.
We and our 40,000 supporters surrounding the nation's capital are going to keep building the powerfully diverse grassroots climate movement our region needs - building local resistance, raising our voices, acting.
And under a Trump presidency, we'll be fighting for more than just energy justice. Trump is a threat to all of our progressive values and we will work with our progressive allies across the region for paid sick days for all workers, an increased minimum wage, an end to racial profiling by police, fair laws for transgender people, and more. We will pitch in wherever we can.OUR SUMMER INTERNSHIPS
Summer Interns with CCAN work side-by-side with our experienced organizers to run impactful local climate campaigns across our region.SPECIFICALLY, YOU'LL:
- Plan, organize and execute campaign events and creative actions
- Help conduct community outreach, including collecting petition signatures, tabling at events, texting and phone banking
- Help recruit new volunteers, and train and develop rising volunteer leaders
- Learn how to write and publish blog posts, letters to local papers, and other campaign communications
- Conduct guided campaign research
- And have an amazing opportunity to learn grassroots campaigning skills from an organization that climate activist Bill McKibben has called the "best regional climate organization in the world."
- A driving passion to combat climate change despite a climate denier in the White House, and secure clean energy victories
- A commitment to a fair and equitable energy future
- An eagerness to learn organizing skills
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- And a sense of humor!
CCAN has offices in Richmond and Norfolk, Virginia and Baltimore and Takoma Park, Maryland.HOURS AND DATES:
Summer interns typically work 10-20 hours per week
Summer interns typically start in mid-May and wrap up in mid-August. CCAN's experienced team of organizers will run a skills training and orientation for all new summer interns no later than the first week of June.COMPENSATION:
Our summer internships are unpaid positions. We encourage you to pursue course credit for this internship, or external grant opportunities if those are available, and will support these pursuits in any way we possibly can.