Subject Matter Expert- Drug Discovery
7 days left
- Full Time
The Contractor will provide a subject matter expert to serve as the lead Research Scientist for in vitro imaging testing core within the Therapeutics Development Center (TDC). This position requires a knowledge of cell based systems used for high throughput screening (HTS) of MCM directed against viral and toxin agents. This position requires work with applying in HTS cell based screening to the identification and validation of therapeutic targets and MCM. This position will work to assemble and manage multi-disciplinary teams using interpersonal skills; and communication/organizational skills. Specific Tasks:
- Serve as lead Scientist for the In Vitro Screening Core of the TDC. Responsible for experimental design and operation of instruments supporting high throughput in vitro analysis of MCM directed against biothreat pathogens. Define and establish a strategy/pipeline to assist in the evaluation and transition of MCM from identification to validation.
- Collaborate with Institute PIs on developing in vitro methodologies to assist in their research efforts. This includes the application of existing platforms (i.e.High Content Imaging; Opera; MSD platforms) as well as identification of new platforms to advance MCM discovery; evaluation; and development.
- Coordinate and manage the In Vitro Screening Core pipeline for testing molecular libraries (small molecule; peptide; nucleic acids) for efficacy of against biothreat pathogens. Libraries can range from several hundred to hundreds of thousands of compounds. As lead Scientist; the contractor is responsible for sample logistics; data collection; analysis and evaluation. The contractor will ensures that data meets rigorous standards of quality control.
- Applies expert knowledge in high throughput screening to evaluate data analysis software applications for integration into the testing platforms. Responsible for ensuring that data is stored; archived and maintained in appropriate databases and IT systems.
- Author or coauthor research proposals; solicitations; and other vehicles to solicit financial support to meet TDC mission/portfolio objectives. This includes answering service calls from government sponsors including the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) and Medical Countermeasure Systems (MCS).
- Identify; foster; and manage external collaborations with other government agencies; non-profits; academic; and private-sector research organizations and companies. This includes interactions with partner agencies to increase access to molecular libraries of interest.
- As the lead Research Scientist for the In Vitro Screening Core; the SME will be expected to present work at 1-2 Scientific Meetings per year. Also; this position will require travel to support collaborative efforts with pharmaceutical; academic; and external partners. This requirement is anticipated to comprise 2 trips per year.
- Masters Degree in a scientific discipline.
- PhD in a relevant field of the life sciences (virology; bacteriology; immunology; molecular biology; pharmacology) is highly desired.
- 10+ years of directly related work experience and a recognized as an expert in the required area of expertise