Principal Information Security Analyst
Performs all procedures necessary to ensure the safety of information systems assets and to protect systems from intentional or inadvertent access or destruction.
- Performs Computer Security Incident Response activities for a large organization; coordinates with other government agencies to record and report incidentsMonitor and analyze Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS) to identify security issues for remediationRecognizes potential; successful; and unsuccessful intrusion attempts and compromises thorough reviews and analyses of relevant event detail and summary information.Evaluate firewall change requests and assess organizational riskCommunicates alerts to agencies regarding intrusions and compromises to their network infrastructure; applications and operating systemsAssists with implementation of counter-measures or mitigating controlsEnsures the integrity and protection of networks; systems; and applications by technical enforcement of organizational security policies; through monitoring of vulnerability scanning devicesPerforms periodic and on-demand system audits and vulnerability assessments; including user accounts; application access; file system and external Web integrity scans to determine compliancePrepares incident reports of analysis methodology and resultsProvides guidance and work leadership to less-experienced technical staff members; and may have supervisory responsibilitiesMay serve as a technical team or task leaderMaintains current knowledge of relevant technology as assignedParticipates in special projects as required
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline; or the equivalent combination of education; professional training or work experience.
- 5-7 years of related experience in data security administration
- Historical experience with daily monitoring of vendor and other security alerts (CERT; SANS; BugTraq)
- Experience writing Intrusion Detection Signatures for Snort and other Network Intrusion Detection Systems
- Experience and knowledge of modern encryption methods and implementation with web and internet based security systems
- Experience generating SQL queries and utilizing SQL systems for data mining of data with ad hoc queries
- Ability to train and present security events and incidents to all levels within the organization
- Experience dealing with network abuse issues
- Utilize creative methods to monitor; identify and mine trends and incidents within extremely large datasets through statistical and/or automated fashions
- Create an environment for learning and sharing with other analysts and security professionals within the organization on the trends of attack
- Writing white papers or building presentations that can be published/presented internally or to external entities