Community Youth Services Manager (Librarian I)
Manages all activities of the youth services department in a community library. Performs collection maintenance by weeding, marketing and merchandising library materials for youth; May supervise one or more Library Information Assistant positions. Advises and assists customers in the selection of books, periodicals, media, and other materials.
Note: This job announcement is being re-announced to fill a vacancy at Dolley Madison Library located in McLean, VA. Applicants that have previously applied do not need to re-apply to be considered. The salary offer will not exceed the midpoint (or $63,066.85) of the advertised salary range.
Schedule: The schedule includes evening and weekend hours as assigned. The schedule may also vary depending on the needs of the library.
- Manages all activities of youth services department in a community library;
- Performs collection maintenance by weeding, marketing and merchandising library materials for youth;
- May supervise one or more Library Information Assistant positions;
- Serves on Branch Management Team and acts as person-in-charge as needed.
- Answers reference questions from customers through the use of standard reference books, documents, and electronic resources;
- Assists and instructs customers in the use of print and online reference materials;
- Advises and assists customers in the selection of books, periodicals, media, and other materials.
- Knowledge of the principles, standards, and practices of library science;
- Knowledge of library reference sources and methods;
- Ability to plan and schedule workload;
- Ability to effectively train and supervise others;
- Ability to promote interest in library services;
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with children, the general public and other employees.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:Possession of a certificate issued by the Virginia State Board for Certification of Librarians within three months of date of appointment to the position.
Master's in library science from an ALA-accredited library school. Two or more years of professional library experience, to include demonstrated supervisory experience. Experience providing readers' advisory services to patrons requiring children's literature or materials. Experience planning, developing, and facilitating programs for children and young adults.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: The appointee to the position will be required to satisfactorily complete a criminal background check and a Child Protective Services Registry check.
Ability to lift books weighing up to 10 pounds. Ability to input, access and retrieve information from a computer. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview; may include an oral presentation exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.