Deputy Division Director, Division of Civil, Mechanical and Manufacturing Innovation
This announcement has been amended to extend the closing date to March 30, 2017.
Please DO NOT USE the APPLY ONLINE BUTTON when applying for this announcement. Your application material should be sent to the email address indicated in the How To Apply section below.
The January 23, 2017, Presidential Memorandum, entitled “Hiring Freeze,” ordered government agencies (including the National Science Foundation) to freeze all hiring of Federal civilian employees. In an effort to ensure NSF is best positioned to resume hiring after the hiring freeze expires and the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) issues its plan to reduce the size of the Federal Government’s workforce, NSF will continue its recruitment efforts (post job vacancy announcements, evaluate and screen applicants, interview, etc.). NO EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS WILL BE FILLED UNTIL RESOLUTION OF THE HIRING FREEZE, or the position qualifies for a hiring exemption pursuant to OMB guidance. Individuals appointed as IPAs on a detail to NSF are exempted from the Hiring Freeze. We appreciate your patience and understanding in this process.
The Senior Executive Service (SES) covers managerial positions above GS-15 in the Federal Service. Persons appointed to the SES are eligible for health benefits, life insurance, social security, Federal retirement and thrift savings plan coverage, and participate in the Federal leave system. Career appointees are eligible for bonuses based on performance in addition to base pay.
Competitive status is not required, veteran's preference does not apply and there are no grade restrictions. New appointees to the SES are required to serve a one-year probationary period. Final selection of career appointees requires the approval of the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM). OPM approval will be based on the selectee's background in the following five executive core qualification areas: (1) Leading Change, (2) Leading People, (3) Results Driven Leadership, (4) Business Acumen, and (5) Building Coalitions. These areas are incorporated in the five executive/managerial requirements for the position. Information about the leadership requirements for SES-level positions is available on the OPM website.
This position may also be filled on a one-to-three year Senior Executive Service (SES) Limited Term Appointment.
- Relocation may be paid contingent on availability of funds.
1. Leading Change. Demonstrated ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Includes the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
2. Leading People. Demonstrated ability to lead people toward meeting the organization’s vision, mission, and goals. Includes the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
3. Results-Driven Leadership. Demonstrated ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Includes the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
4. Business Acumen. Demonstrated ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
5. Building Coalitions. Demonstrated ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
Applicants currently serving under a career Senior Executive Service (SES) appointment, eligible for reinstatement into SES, or have successfully completed a SES Candidate Development Program (CDP) approved by OPM are not required to address the Executive/Managerial Qualifications (ECQs/EMs); but a narrative statement for each of the Professional/Technical Qualifications (PTQs) is recommended.
For detailed guidance on ECQs, applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Office of Personnel Management's Guide to Senior Executive Service Qualifications.
1. Ph.D. or equivalent professional experience or a combination of education and equivalent experience in civil, mechanical and manufacturing engineering or a closely related science based discipline.
2. Substantial research contributions and strong evidence of scholarship in engineering as evidenced in publications and other professional contributions.
3. Demonstrated broad knowledge of diverse fields of engineering and their interdisciplinary impact to important cross-cutting research programs.
4. Broad understanding of universities and other institutions where research and education in engineering is conducted. Demonstrated knowledge of grant and contract administration, fiscal management, and budget preparation with experience in engineering research support.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
Public Trust - Background Investigation