Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Administrator
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Administrator
Location: Huntsville, AL, or Vicksburg, MS, or Portland, Oregon
Secret Clearance Required
Reporting to the Data Center Manager, the VDI Administrator is responsible for operating and maintaining the virtualized desktop infrastructure within the enterprise environment. The VDI Administrator will demonstrate expertise in the installation, configuration and administration of VMWare vSphere, VMware vCenter. Will have knowledge of VMware applications and physical infrastructure services and their integration within the virtual infrastructure. Have an understanding of Windows Desktop operating systems to include design considerations for desktop, laptop and Thin-client/VDI. The primary scope of this work shall include the efforts involved with developing, testing, and implementing virtualized workstation, laptop and tablet images using VMware ThinApp. Have the ability to perform Tier 2-level incident and problem support of virtualized images and provide necessary recommendations on potential image/system enhancements to speed, security, etc. The VDI Administrator should be able to coordinate and be comfortable in a growing VDI environment and be able to resolve customer requirements and tickets..
MAJOR JOB ACTIVITIES:
· Operate and maintain the VMware software on virtual servers and hosts providing support for all virtualized desktop services
· Develop and implement business continuity practices related to the VDI environment for enterprise applications and services
· Support the COOP and disaster recovery personnel and processes as related to VDI.
· Troubleshoot and resolve major and minor issues with the virtualized infrastructure including opening and managing support tickets with customers and vendors as needed.
· Responsible to implement, tune and maintain VMware based solutions
· Has a foundational understanding of ITIL framework and ITSM process.
· Applies technical knowledge of networks, operating systems, utilities, etc. to the VMware environment
· Defines, monitors, and troubleshoots system performance within the VMware environment
· Provide reports for system health, configuration and capacity
· Perform routine maintenance and apply software updates
· Provide root cause analysis of service problems and develop solutions related to VDI
· Coordinate with other enterprise operations work centers to deliver solutions and configuration items without impacting customers
- Maintain and manage deployed Nutanix, or approved hardware, server equipment operation and connectivity, and physical and virtual machine technical support services and network devices (in coordination with networks team).
- Perform management and maintenance of VMWare server software (vCenter, Horizon View, etc).
- Maintain management and maintenance of server and desktop image, to include patching and monitoring.
- Support the configuration and operation of attached peripherals to the virtual desktop client.
- Deploy and integrate applications into the virtual desktop infrastructure
- Provision Desktops, support brokers in a load balanced environment, diagnose protocol errors, support load balancers, configure and support Profile Unity, provide user storage, diagnose Operating System and application errors, configure and support the hypervisor, etc.
- Understand networking, including TCP/IP and QoS
- Assist in providing domain accounts for all necessary personnel within 72 hours.
- Provide Information Assurance (IA) technical support services and ensure that all system applications contain/remain fully, operationally compliant with approved DOD, Security Technical Implementation Guide (STIG) standards.
- Notify customer of authorized service interruptions (ASI) activity, as required.
· Update and document processes associated with the VDI environment.
· Additional Duties as required.
MATERIAL & EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
Computers, Keyboards, Dual Monitors, etc
VMWare vSphere, vCenter
Work is generally conducted in an office environment, and may extend into late hours. Must comply with OSHA, EPA, Fire and Safety Regulations and published company work rules.
Ability to lift 40 pounds required. Standing, sitting, squatting and other normal office related physical activities required. Must be able to sit and read computer screens for extended periods.
Must meet DoD 8570 IAT II certification requirements for both baseline and computing environment
VMware Certified Associate, Professional, preferred
Must have experience with VMware View 5.0 or greater
Must have experience with vSphere 5 or greater (including vCenter)
Preferred experience with Teradici zero clients
4+ years experience administering Windows 2008/2008R/2012 environments
Experience building and creating server and workstation images in a VDI environment
SCCM Application deployment/patching experience
ITIL v3 foundation certified preferred.
One year related experience may be substituted for one year of education, if degree is required.
Associates Degree in computer science or related field, or graduate of military or technical courses in the field of Information Technology preferred. This position requires DoDI 8570.01-M IAT Level II certification and corresponding Computing Environment certification.
4+ years related experience including, server consolidation and server/client virtualization.
Demonstrated experience in virtualization and consolidation of server technologies
specifically VMware VSphere and ESXi Virtual infrastructure.
Understanding of virtual environments for proactive assessment of performance
Demonstrate good judgment in solving problems as well as identifying problems in advance
Ability to collaborate with a team working across multiple locations
Strong customer service skills
Enterprise level experience managing OS and application deployments
Ability to administer, maintain, troubleshoot VMware environments
Must be a U.S. Citizen, Must have valid Secret Clearance, Meets requirements outlined in AR 25-2 for NIPRNET access, Capable of effectively communicating technical information in English, both written and verbal. Must possess strong working knowledge of Military and Government telecommunications and electronic principles