VoIP Engineer II
VoIP Engineer II
ACTIVE SECRET Clearance Required
Location: Huntsville, AL, or Vicksburg, MS, or Portland, Oregon
Under general supervision, performs high-level systems analysis, evaluation, design, integration, documentation, and implementation of very complex application that require a thorough knowledge of administrative and technical skills. Directs and participates in all phases of system development with emphasis on planning, analysis, evaluation, integration, testing and acceptance phases (IV&V and DT&E). Applies higher-level business or technical principles and methods to very difficult technical problems to arrive at automated engineering solution. Engineer will coordinate strategies for defining, deploying, and maintaining IP telephony voice communication architecture and its associated network connections, component hardware, and IP telephony applications. This includes managing all engineering projects for VoIP initiatives, planning technology roadmaps, and configuring and optimizing all VoIP/IP-PBX telephone systems and services, both internally and those integrated with Internet-based services.
The Engineer will also provide expert technical assistance for VoIP growth of networks, Systems upgrades, and new equipment purchases.
MAJOR JOB ACTIVITIES:
The following are examples of major job activities to be performed by a VoIP Technician:
- Manage and maintain Cisco Call Managers, Gatekeepers, and Gateway equipment on unclassified and classified strategic networks.
- Monitor and identify capacity, quality, and performance issues for VoIP traffic to ensure continued, uninterrupted operation of telephony systems.
- Collaborate with network engineers or administrators to ensure that VoIP traffic does not interfere with or hinder network data traffic.
- Maintain and consolidate circuit level voice IP drawings according to Standards.
- Responsible for District and Field VoIP design, installation and support.
- Responsible for Call Manager Upgrades and sustainment.
- Manage the voicemail system.
- Assist with design of video equipment projects as required.
- Provide VoIP related engineering & operational support to subordinate elements when necessary.
- Update, troubleshoot, and process incoming Remedy trouble tickets while maintaining SLAs for resolution of tickets
- Responsible for policies and procedures creations and distribution in reference to all VoIP equipment.
- Performs analysis of maintenance failures, research trends, and causes of failures- and recommend solutions to avert future failures.
- Provide assistance on new equipment purchases to replace existing equipment and/or new connectivity projects. Equipment for purchase should comply with approved network designs.
- Gather, compile, and maintain enterprise level VoIP network diagrams.
- Provide helpful advice on equipment purchases for life-cycle replacements as well as up and coming network related projects.
- Perform preventative maintenance procedures to ensure equipment has lasted authorized releases, patches, and/or fixes applied to meet information assurance requirements.
- Ensure VoIP related network devices within the TNOSC area of responsibility meet DISA STIG requirements to promote the security and integrity of the network infrastructure.
- Interact and coordinate with other organizations both on an informational and technical level.
MATERIAL & EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
VoIP Telephones and switches
Working environment will be 90% indoor, 10% outdoors.
Must be able to lift/push/pull 40 lbs.
Education/Certifications: One year related experience may be substituted for one year of education, if degree is required.
High School with 4-5 years experience OR Associates with 1 year experience. Graduate of military or technical courses in the field of Information Technology preferred
Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert CCIE (Voice) or Cisco Certified Voice Professional CCVP (Voice) preferred.
This position requires DoDI 8570.01-M IAT Level III certification and corresponding Computing Environment certification. Must have a CISSP or CASP and at least one of the followingCCNP, CCNP Security, CCNP Voice, CCNP Service Provider, CCIE, CCIE Security, CCIE Voice, CCIE Service Provider; ACIS; ECVP.
At least five years of practical experience working with various data (network and system) technologies, with a minimum of two of those years focused on VoIP technologies. Understanding of basic DoD facility security requirements. Knowledge of DISA Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIG). Must have expertise in maintenance and configuration of Cisco routers as well as networking and telephony interfaces. Must have experience with IP, VoIP, QoS, H.323, G711, G723 and G729, SIP and PSTN gateways. Applicants selected will be subjected to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Candidate must be able to work rotating shift schedules which provide 24 hour day/ 7 day week coverage.
Understanding of basic DoD facility security requirements. Knowledge of DISA Security technical Implementation Guides (STIG).
Excellent customer service skills are mandatory.
Ability to work independently or with a team.
Call Manager experience and Cisco VoIP equipment