Director of Business Development - School of Continuing Studies
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
The School of Continuing Studies (SCS) has created an opportunity for an energetic and enthusiastic Director of Business Development, who is responsible for building business growth by cultivating existing client relationships and developing new ones. The Director is responsible for the development, planning, implementation and management of a comprehensive business development program for SCS, and constructs and executes custom education programs for public and private organizations and will grow and cultivate SCS's market reputation as a leading provider of adult undergraduate, graduate degree, and professional education to the corporate and employer market. Utilizing external marketing analysis, s/he will engage in centralized, streamlined, and strategic client prospecting, outreach and relationship development activities for new market and product development. This position is responsible for delivering on the mission and tradition of Georgetown University to the corporate and custom education marketplace, domestically and globally.
Reporting to the Dean, the Director will manage relationship development activities, monitoring of market trends in custom education and competition in post-secondary education and the for-profit higher education industry. The Director will develop, deliver, and negotiate components and financial terms of the educational partnership proposals with each employer/organization so as to achieve SCS revenue goals. S/he will grow and cultivate SCS's market reputation as a leading provider of adult undergraduate, graduate, and professional education to the corporate market.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Research and communicate knowledge of best practices and emerging models of business-to-higher education partnerships including human capital acquisition, talent development, research collaboration, and industry association alliances.
- Develop strategic partnerships with targeted businesses, corporations, nonprofit organizations, government organizations and the military.
- Serve as the SCS liaison with local Chambers of Commerce and economic development groups.
- Create synergy between SCS programs and the business community with a focus on increasing employment and continuing education opportunities through outreach to the regional business community.
- Develop targeted relationships with primary employers of GU graduates and to market programs that would be available to their current employees.
- Expand contractual research with the private sector to market our capabilities to the business community and help provide a linkage to our faculty/students.
- Collaborate with faculty and staff across Georgetown to develop and deliver high quality partnership proposals to potential partners.
- Provide the Dean, Academic Deans, faculty, staff and SCS leadership team with feedback from internal and external sources, along with their own insights, in order to help shape the development of custom and other programs and to influence the short and long-term vision for the school's relationships strategy.
- Develop and prioritize client prospect lists; identify, establish and cultivate strategic and influential relationships with senior level executives at DC-area corporations and employers, as well as nationally and internationally, to raise market awareness of SCS's adult undergraduate, graduate degrees, and custom education capabilities.
- Develop ongoing client relationships with prospective employer educational partners.
- With each client, conduct needs analysis. Develop and deliver proposals of SCS offerings that will meet the employers' needs for adult undergraduate and graduate degree education.
- Successfully negotiate and close conditions, delivery channels and financial terms of educational partnership proposals that will contribute to university revenue targets by employer cohort enrollments and onsite delivery.
- Identify opportunities for and assist in the development of new degree offerings for adult undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Conduct in-depth client organization analysis and/or needs assessment to determine custom education needs
- Oversee the development of new corporate and governmental relationships to benefit SCS programs by creating relationships with CEOs, Chief Learning Officers, VPs of Human Resources, and VPs of New Business Development to create new opportunities in programming, student networking opportunities, and to facilitate SCS's exposure in the greater Metropolitan DC area.
- Ensure appropriate relationship building between business and government partners and other University Officers.
Project Management and Internal Collaboration
- Manage, coordinate and communicate strategic industry partnership building activities with an emphasis on capturing data to illustrate value creation and support future program and marketing efforts.
- Collaborate with the SCS leadership team to develop information sharing systems and processes to support the execution of partnership activities and development embedded relationships.
- Review existing custom education program financials with an eye toward maximizing net revenues
- Expand existing relationships by increasing programming and subsequent revenue goals
- Identify needs for outside resources and source vendors, as appropriate.
- Handle vendor management in collaboration with other SCS colleagues, to include coordination of resources and ensuring quality of product and service levels delivered
- Collaborate with SCS program professionals in identifying and cultivating new custom education opportunities
- Collaborate with SCS marketing and enrollment management units to develop an outreach and engagement strategy for custom education
- Identify and consult with public and private sector organizations to identify needs and craft educational based solutions that extend the mission and tradition of Georgetown University and address content, content delivery and program structure requirements
- Develop concepts and write proposals for custom education programs
- Identify program expansion opportunities. This will include conducting market research, proposing and developing new products/services drafting proposals, performance measures and objectives
- Deliver presentations to current and prospective partners and clients on behalf of SCS and Georgetown University.
- Stay abreast of community needs, and programs at peer institutions and competitors as well as programs at SCS and the Georgetown community as a whole, with an eye toward integration and collaboration.
- Work with the client through the contracting process ensuring integrity of GU education and following all University policies.
Practical Experience required for the successful candidate:
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's degree strongly preferred, in business, organization development, education or related field
- Experience with online learning and related technologies and a proven record of successful development and execution of strategic partnerships
- Eight to ten years of progressive administrative management experience in consulting or education practice
- to write customized proposals informed by research, client need and specific industry contexts within short timeframes
- develop adult education offerings
- assess organizational training needs
- to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders
- to quickly master new subject matter areas, converse fluently with senior level executives with respect to organization challenges and educational solutions
- to provide very high levels of service and professionalism
- in increasing custom education revenues
- to identify and capitalize on market opportunities through the creation of customized educational programs
- Proven experience in relationship development, including retail and business-to-business sales
- Demonstrated knowledge of the custom education and consulting marketplace
- Outstanding interpersonal, speaking and writing skills
- Curriculum development experience including related learning materials
To assist with this search, the School of Continuing Studies has partnered with Stephen-Bradford Search. Stephen-Bradford will manage all aspects of this search.
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.