The Health and Medicine Division (HMD) is a division of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (The National Academies). HMD’s aim is to help those in government and the private sector make informed health decisions by providing evidence upon which they can rely. HMD previously was the Institute of Medicine (IOM) program unit of the National Academies. On March 15, 2016, the division was renamed HMD, building on the heritage of the IOM’s work in medicine while emphasizing its increased focus on a wider range of health matters.
Provides direction, management, and leads the business planning, financial, and budgeting activities for the health and medicine division. Directs the activities of a variety of financial functions including fiscal and budgetary management and coordination of contract and grant efforts. Supervises financial staff.
1. Provides financial management and analysis for the HMD. Prepares financial projections. Authorizes expenditures. Determines allocation of discretionary income. Prepares financial reports for the executive director and unit directors. Ensures compliance with auditing requirements, contractual obligations, and budgetary limitations.
2. Oversees the preparation of HMD’s operating budget and program estimates. Monitors throughout the year for accuracy and adjusts estimates as needed. Ensures funds are being used appropriately.
3. Reviews cost estimates for proposal submission to federal agencies and private sponsors for projects and core support.
4. Reviews proposed sponsor agreements to assess potential contractual problems, spending limits, deliverables, and reporting requirements. Ensures that accepted agreements are in compliance with National Academies’ policies and procedures.
5. Meets with staff to review and discuss financial matters and participates in Academy-wide financial meetings. Meets regularly with chief financial officer to communicate priorities and concerns.
6. Liaises with the Office of Contracts and Grants (OCG), Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO), and other operating units of the National Academies regarding HMD financial matters.
7. Oversees all financial issues for HMD. Develops processes and procedures. Advises staff on National Academies’ and unit policies and procedures on financial matters.
8. Provides leadership, mentoring, and supervision for finance employees. Initiates a variety of personnel actions, trains and develops employees, and assigns work. Interprets and ensures consistent application of policies and procedures.
9. Conducts regular audits. Answers requests from internal and external auditors and oversees the compilation and dissemination of the information requested.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Extensive knowledge of accounting and financial principles, federal regulations, and OMB Circulars. Proficiency in Microsoft Excel. Ability to solve intellectual problems that reflect substantial variety and complexity. Ability to serve as a resource to others in the resolution of complex problems and issues. Ability to operate with substantial latitude for independent judgement and action. Ability to work successfully in a team environment and form and maintain effective teams. Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies’ departments through effective communication. Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees.
If you already have an account created with the Academies, to apply to this position, click “Add to my Jobs” with your login information. If this is your first time applying with the Academies, please click “Apply for this position” below.