The Security Guard position provides security protection in terms of preservation of structures, properties, and materials, both classified and unclassified within the premises and grounds of the Center for Communications Research – La Jolla (CCR-L) complex; assists in controlling access and means for gaining access by any persons to restricted areas, equipment, materials or documents; provides information or instructions to persons requesting these services within the scope of responsibility, knowledge, and duty of the Security Force Staff. Due to the nature of the work (365 days per year, 24 hours per day, 7 days per week) this position is often required to work varied shifts, including overtime hours and holidays. The CCR-L complex must be staffed by the security force at all times; therefore, security guards are designated as essential persons.
- Establishes and maintains familiarity with all normal and emergency procedures, each duty post, and the physical layout of the facility and grounds. Develops and maintains proficiency in the operation of the intrusion detection, video surveillance, and personnel access control systems, including radios/intercom systems and fire/safety systems, and reports any observed system malfunctions. Learns about and adapts to all existing and future security enhancing system add-ons, changes and upgrades.
- Regulates personnel entry into building and adjacent areas, including checking visitor identification, ensuring visitors have authorized entry, maintaining log of visitors, and identifying vendors and regularly scheduled delivery personnel.
- Records all security-related occurrences in an accurate and timely manner throughout the shift by maintaining logs, reports, and completing all required security paperwork.
- Escorts uncleared personnel and maintenance workers, and performs safety/security tours in and about the CCR-L complex.
- Performs the duty of receptionist/switchboard operator when required, including answering phones, logging in calls and operating the postal meter/scale system.
- Ensures the protection and proper control of sensitive material to include documents, printouts, and associated media during security checks within the controlled area of the facility.
- Must dress in proper security attire provided by CCR-L and maintain a professional appearance at all times while on duty.
- Assists with unloading/loading of supplies or equipment, relocating furniture or other bulky items within the CCR-L complex and/or storage areas.
- Performs all tasks as instructed by the Security Manager; performs other duties as assigned, which may include tasks outside the normal scope of security.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- High School diploma or equivalent. A minimum of two years experience in a security-related environment (preferably in a defense-related organization).
- Possess good interpersonal skills for interacting across a wide spectrum of people.
- Experience using computers and associated software, and familiarity with security related equipment.
- Strong communication skills, with clear speaking voice for initiating explanations, instructions, and successful radio transmissions.
- Ability to obtain necessary security clearance (TS//SI).
- Must be prepared to work different shifts and overtime hours on short notice as needs dictate.