Securing America’s Future Energy (SAFE) unites prominent military and business leaders to develop and advocate for policies that improve America’s energy security by significantly curtailing our dependence on oil and promoting responsible use of our domestic energy sources. SAFE relies on knowledge and experience of four-star retired military officers, Fortune 500 CEOs, and its expert staff of communications, finance, policy and political experts to produce high-quality, fact based analysis and policy recommendations for lawmakers, regulatory agencies, and the public.
Armed with a deep understanding of the issues, SAFE leads the conversation on energy and transportation policy with the goal of bolstering America’s economic and national security. Agile and multidisciplinary, SAFE maintains a strategic ability to adapt to the rapidly evolving energy and transportation landscape with real-time, up-to-date analysis and recommendations. SAFE aims to address America’s overwhelming reliance on oil by increasing fuel efficiency in transportation, improving fuel diversity in transportation, and expanding production of U.S. domestic resources. Since its public launch in 2005, SAFE has employed innovative strategies to overcome policy stagnation.
For more information, visit secureenergy.org.
The Press Secretary is responsible for growing and strengthening SAFE’s relationships with key journalists and thought leaders, overseeing social media and content creation, and assisting with event planning and promotion. The position works as part of SAFE’s broader communications team to improve public understanding of energy security issues.
- Contributes to development and implementation of SAFE’s communications strategy.
- Creates, manages and strengthens relationships with key members of the press. Serves as SAFE spokesperson.
- Pitches SAFE storylines and spokespeople to members of the media, including broadcast, print and online outlets.
- Conceives, designs and executes SAFE media events and report launches. Works cross-departmentally with policy and legislative leads to ensure all events and reports meet or exceed specific outreach goals.
- Writes and edits media materials including press releases, briefing documents, talking points, memoranda, and Q&As.
- Assists with SAFE’s public relations content creation and social media outreach, ensuring the use of consistent branding and SAFE’s most effective messages.
- Helps manage SAFE’s public relations consultants, providing direction on targets, messaging, and execution.
- Works cross-departmentally to continuously promote SAFE’s reports and messages through speaking and conference opportunities.
- Provides talking points, power point presentations, and often provides direct support to SAFE spokespeople and VIPs (including members of the Energy Security Leadership Council).
Professional Skills and Qualifications
- B.A. or B.S. degree required.
- 3-5 years of media relations experience in an advocacy, trade association, policy, or political field.
- Strong relationships with key energy and energy policy and/or transportation reporters.
- Solid background in pitching reporters, creating story ideas, securing editorial board meetings, placing opinion editorials, and executing successful media relations.
- Strong understanding of energy markets and energy policy, especially as it pertains to the transportation sector.
- Strong understanding of the legislative process and successful media tactics that compliment legislative affairs.
- Experience in message development, media training, and crises communications.
- Experience in building and growing a company, trade association, or think tank’s online presence through its website and social media platforms.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Excellent oral communications skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to function independently, as well as manage a team.
- Ability to work on tight deadlines and manage an ambitious workload.
- Passion for SAFE’s mission.
Expand HR Consulting, www.expandhr.com, has been retained to assist SAFE with this search. To apply, please send a letter of interest, resume, and original writing sample to Sharon Ossi, Junior Consultant, email@example.com, subject line “Press Secretary”. EOE/m/f/d/v.