(Senior) Business Relationship Manager (WP) (706-679)
The Business Relationship Manager (BRM) works as a strategic interface with assigned digital business investment areas of the organization for the purpose of business-IT strategy development, solution discovery, service management, and relationship management. The BRM serves as the relationship link between the organization and Global Information Services (GIS). They provide highly-valued strategic consulting level support and guidance through key GIS initiatives and proactively serve as a “trusted advisor” to promote GIS’s vision, value, services and capabilities to help USP achieve objectives through the use of technology. They also act as advocates on behalf of business stakeholders to ensure GlS services meet business priorities and needs.
Individuals in this role must be able to communicate clearly, negotiate, listen, mitigate conflict, build alliances and achieve desired results using strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills. The BRM must be comfortable working with Executive leaders and with others on issues across organizational and business-entity boundaries. Their knowledge of technology risks and opportunities are shared to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of USP.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Builds and maintains strong relationships with business partners and acts as a liaison between information services teams and the business partner
- Promotes business knowledge of IT process, roles, and procedures to ensure the best possible outcome
- Determines the appropriate course of action for business needs: immediate resolution through existing functionality, support request for quick implementation, or as part of a larger effort.
- Promotes business projects and value to the IT leaders and the Executive Team
- Actively manages customer expectations and communicates status of pending work
- Provides input and communicates the service catalog to better meet business needs
- Participates in business IT strategy development, program roadmaps and influences program and project initiatives
- May assist in defining new services to support business needs.
- Participates in the development of metrics used to track value delivery
- Provides details on cost, value, and opportunity to optimize IT spend (initiatives and support services)
- Communicates business needs with appropriate IT solution center to gain alignment between business needs and technical capabilities
- Tracks backlog of requests and works with customers to incorporate these into subsequent projects based on priority
- Gathers high-level business requirements and deﬁnes scope during initial discovery by conducting meetings/interviews, and facilitating large group/cross-functional sessions with partners
- Participates in the development of business cases requiring IT-based solutions
- May establishes initial vendor relationships and maintains a forward-looking view of vendor direction
- May interfaces with vendors to understand whether vendor products will meet business requirements
- Monitors that the solution center is meeting the business’ expectations
- Reﬁnes SLAs based on business need and manages communications with business for planned service outages.
- Maintains up-to-date awareness of the current and future directions of the industry and associated technologies, and, where appropriate, makes recommendations for implementation of new/upgraded systems and technologies
- Combines a general knowledge of multiple technology areas with knowledge of the targeted business function to deﬁne and document the business requirements
- Maintains knowledge of multiple business functions and initiatives to identify where conﬂicts/synergies exist between technologies and business functions
- Ensures alignment with IT solution capabilities
- If at a senior level, mentors other BRMs on best practices and techniques
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to build both formal and informal professional networks across organizational boundaries. Obtains and shares information, ideas and problems. Solicits advice, support, championship, sponsorship and commitment that result in smooth transitions of change and the development of mutually acceptable solutions.
- Possesses an understanding of business functions to analyze and propose technical strategies for the business. Ability to recognize strategic IT needs.
- Excellent communication skills: expresses technical and business concepts, ideas, feelings, opinions, and conclusions with high level of competency, both orally and in writing. Listens attentively and reinforces key concepts
- Demonstrated analytical skills to critically evaluate the information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from low-level information to a more general understanding, distinguish presented user requests from the underlying true needs, and distinguish solution ideas from requirements
- Proven attention to detail and accuracy. Defines and organizes tasks, responsibilities and priorities. Takes responsibility for timely completion
- Identifies, documents, and monitors key business processes needed to achieve successful business results. Maps and documents processes. Develops framework for process improvement.
- Collaborates with other members of formal and informal groups in the pursuit of common missions, vision, values and mutual goals. Ability to manage, influence and negotiate with leaders. Involves others in making decisions that affect them. Draws on the strengths of colleagues and gives credit to others' contributions and achievements
- Gathers and analyzes information or data on current and future trends of best practice. Seeks information on issues impacting the progress of organizational and process issues. Translates up to date information into continuous improvement activities that enhance performance
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Business, relevant field, or equivalent work experience, with at least five (5) to (8) eight years of progressive experience in IT management, relevant business area, Consulting, as a Business Relationship Manager, Business Analyst, Project Manager, or Program Manager.
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular