Sr. Systems Administrator/Programmer - Bowie, MD
7 days left
- Full Time
Under general supervision, this position provides for the various elements of continual operations of the CCS computer systems. The incumbent will install and maintain various operation systems on servers and work stations, working to analyze, update or suspend systems as necessary. Incumbent must have strong analytical ability in order to diagnosis and correct system problems. This position supports IDA's Center for Computing Sciences Information Technology division. No supervisory responsibility. No budgetary responsibilities.
1. System Support
- Manages and maintains computer systems (e.g. servers and workstations) on multiple networks by monitoring system performance, configuration, maintenance and repair.
- Develops new system and application implementation plans, custom scripts and testing procedures to ensure operational reliability. Trains technical staff in how to use new software and hardware developed and/or acquired.
- Performs software and hardware installations.
- Provides in-depth internal UNIX kernel support.
- Performs troubleshooting as required. As such, leads problem-solving efforts often involving outside vendors and other support personnel and/or organizations.
- Provides performance monitoring, tuning, and capacity planning.
- Depending on the system, may perform systems administration functions, such as adding user accounts, performing system accounting and other related activities. Support includes error detection, analysis and timely intervention.
- Provides innovative, practical solutions to a wide variety of hardware and software problems.
- Stays current with technological developments in systems administration technology and recommends ways for PCC to take advantage of new technology.
2. User Support
- Interfaces with vendor’s customer support personnel in resolving user problems.
- Responds to users’ requests, providing professional support in a timely manner.
- Maintains a high level of expertise in the area of focus (e.g. Linux and/or Windows).
3. Perform other duties as assigned
- BS/BA degree in Computer Science or related area, with six or more years of progressively responsible work experience with computer systems including Windows and/or Linux operating systems.
- Demonstrated experience in scripting and programming.
- Demonstrated experience with various hardware and software.
- Knowledge of networking
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to obtain and maintain TS/SCI Clearance with Fullscope Polygraph; Active TS/SCI Clearance with Fullscope or CI Polygraph, preferred.