Public Relations and Communications Manager
Public Relations and Communications Manager
Full Time – Experienced (2-3 years minimum)
Category: Public Relations
Required Education: 4 Year Degree
The Public Relations and Communications Manager (PR&CM) develops, implements, and manages projects to enhance organization-wide external communications and media coverage of key NDIA, AFEI, NTSA, PSA and WID initiatives to raise overall awareness and communicate the value of membership and participation among key external audiences.
This position answers directly to the NDIA VP, Marketing and coordinates public relations efforts with NDIA affiliates and internal teams.
The PR&CM provides PR related project management and implementation efforts for the internal clients NDIA, AFEI, NTSA, PSA and WID. Due to the volume of events (100-180 annually), awards, membership activities, chapters, and media inquiries for five associations combined, PR&CM must have excellent organization, coordination and collaboration skills to manage multiple tasks simultaneously on tight timelines.
- Writes, proofs and/or distributes news releases for all NDIA and affiliate programs, including policy efforts, conference promotion, awards, membership activities, etc. as needed.
- Identifies and contributes content for strategic PR opportunities: blogs, op-eds, letters to the editor, etc.
- Serves as primary liaison to internal NDIA and affiliate contacts for press release writing and PR outreach needs.
- Maintains media page on NDIA, AFEI, NTSA, PSA and WID websites
- Maintains comprehensive media tracking system. Tracks media coverage success to PR efforts, reports potential opportunities/threats
- Builds and maintains media lists for outreach campaigns using NDIA’s PR tools (Meltwater Press).
- Builds and maintains relationships with industry and government reporters, serving as a go-to resource for industry experts and information inquiries.
- Builds relationships with external media contacts, including NDIA members, blog authors, event speaker staff, journalists, industry analysts, PAO and PR contacts at related organizations.
- Develops content strategy to support NDIA, AFEI, NTSA, PSA and WID missions and specific membership activities.
- Supports conference, symposia and other event related PR activities.
- Stays abreast of industry and government news cycles and identifies ways for proactive media outreach.
- Contributes to the overall goals of NDIA’s board driven strategic plan to create awareness and disseminate knowledge of the efforts of NDIA and its affiliates in support of its mission to external audiences.
Conference Media Room Activities
- Manages logistics and planning for media activities at select NDIA conferences.
- Supports media room when available at major conferences. Establishes and maintains relationships with attending reporters and exhibitor PR contacts.
- Contributes to e-newsletters and other correspondence for conference PR activities at major conferences.
Online Newsroom Support
- Oversees all online content development and maintenance for PR programs, including online newsrooms for NDIA.org and affiliates including updates and modifications.
- Contributes to enhancing NDIA’s PR related multimedia efforts including script writing for video, audio and photo components in press releases, web video content, etc.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS/ABILITITES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, communications or related field.
- 2-5 years media relations, public relations and/or communications work experience.
- Prior experience in a defense or government-related field or organization a plus.
- Strong writing and editing skills required. Strong verbal communication skills and customer service orientation.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and work independently.
- Experience working with media monitoring services and reporter database search services. (e.g. Vocus, Meltwater)
- Experience working with media content and analytics (e.g. via Hootsuite, Google Analytics, Tweetdeck).
- Proficiency in Microsoft office/Windows and online research.
- Detail orientation and ability to establish and maintain electronic record-keeping system and files.
- Ability to handle fast-paced environment
- Travel: limited travel for conferences is required.