Gender and Global Security Intern
Women In International Security (WIIS) is seeking one gender and global security intern to work part-time (20 hours per week) from September 2015 to January 2016, with the possibility of an extension. Strong candidates should have, or are currently completing, an M.A. in Women's/Gender Studies, Conflict and Resolution, Security Studies, International Relations, International Law, Political Science, or a related field.
WIIS is the premier organization in the world dedicated to advancing the leadership and professional development of women in the field of international peace and security. WIIS sponsors leadership training, mentoring, and networking programs as well as substantive events focused on current policy problems. WIIS also supports research projects and policy engagement initiatives on critical international security issues, including the nexus between gender and security.
- Conduct thorough research on topics related to gender and international security;
- Write articles and blogs on topics related to global security;
- Conduct member interviews;
- Coordinate membership services (compile JobsHotline, circulate WIIS Words, initiate networking events);
- Attend and report on key events and discussions relevant to WIIS program objectives;
- Monitor and track programmatic activities and research;
- Organize and help facilitate events and large projects.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- At least one year of professional experience is strongly preferred;
- Solid organizational abilities and detail-oriented;
- Strong research and computer skills;
- Experience and/or interest in global security and gender issues;
- Current student or recently graduated.
- Experience working at a unique global, leadership organization;
- Collaboration within a positive team environment;
- Increased understanding of and alignment with global security issues;
- Career mentoring and professional development;
- Networking with other professionals working on global security issues.