Estimator - Heavy Highway Construction
M. Luis Construction Co., Inc. is a woman and minority-owned, multi-generational, and regionally recognized asphalt manufacturer, and a heavy highway and roadway construction services company. We employ a diverse group of educated professionals, engineers and construction specialists focusing on solving customer’s challenges by providing high quality products and exceptional service. We help our clients by developing and providing solutions to meet various deadlines, specifications, and budgets. Since 1985, M. Luis has successfully and safely manufactured hundreds of thousands of tons of quality asphalt and paved thousands of lane miles of roads and highway. In addition, we are a general contractor that has performed numerous concrete operations throughout the state of Maryland.
An Estimator for M. Luis is responsible for analyzing, evaluating, preparing and reviewing bids for highway, roadway, and bridge projects. The Estimator will perform a variety of professional estimating duties related to developing estimates and procuring work for heavy civil construction projects. Assists in the preparation of cost estimates, prepares construction budgets from cost estimates, and handles contract administrative paperwork. Provide aggressive follow-up with subcontractors to ensure that bids are received. Work with the Project Management teams to follow-up on bids and budgets to close the business. This position has functional supervisory responsibility over the work of others
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Promote a safe work environment.
- All facets of bid preparation, review and submission.
- Efficiently performing all stages of an estimate including: project selection, estimate organization, take-off, pricing, review and closeout.
- Prepares bid packages, estimates, analysis of subcontractor bids, etc. for various sized commercial and public projects.
- Interfaces with customer, architects/engineers and contractors/subcontractors to provide information for cost data regarding project feasibility.
- Coordinate and interface with owners, architects, subcontractors, engineers, project managers and other project team members to resolve any technical matters during planning and development, negotiation and contract execution.
- Assess opportunities and risks through plan reviews and site visits.
- Coordinate subcontractor and supplier proposals.
- Assist in development of project schedule.
- Support transitions to project construction management team and development of subcontracts, purchase orders and submittals.
- Manage and develop production cost-history through field verifications, measurements and production analysis.
- Maintains current, accurate information on pricing and cost variance.
- Follows up on job progress and status of estimates.
- Assists in compiling annual reports and budgets.
- Prepares the bid to cost conversion for accounting’s use in performance reporting.
- Assists in the preparation of cost estimates to meet the company’s plan for volume and profit
- Prepares necessary purchase orders, subcontracts, and correspondence to assure compliance with owner and company policy and procedures.
- Verification of Shop Drawing accuracy
- Distribution of shop drawings
- Review material and labor requirements to determine cost-effectiveness and decide whether to construct or sub-contract components
- Shows creativity and resourcefulness in pricing negotiations with subcontractors and vendors.
- Submits 100% of bids and budgets by the bid deadline no exceptions.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities (continued)
- May be called upon by the manager to perform other duties.
- Performs responsibilities included but not limited to those listed.
- Work within the company policies as outlined in the M. Luis Employee Handbook and in compliment with the M. Luis Safety Manual, Human Resources Manual and OSHA Safety Rules.
Education and Training
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management, Civil Engineering or related field.
- 5+ years of combined experience in asphalt estimating, road construction, sales and supervision.
Knowledge and Experience
- Knowledge of the local customer base and competition is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrate strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven record of being a self-starter and able to work under limited supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to promote a safe work environment.
- Estimating techniques, cost control and material pricing
- Civil engineering and construction principles
- Project management principles, practices and methods
- Common commercial and estimating software
- Contract administration management
- Ability to problem solve and adjust to changing circumstances.
- Professional Engineer License; HCSS HeavyBid, Microstation, AGTEK and/or Primavera P6 experience a plus.
- Excellent team, verbal and written communication skills.
- Planning and organizing abilities
- Problem analysis and solving abilities
- Initiative and Self Starting Abilities
- Have a tolerance to job related stress
- Ability to instruct or train any possible subordinate
- Ability to plan and organize a team effort
- Time-management skills
- Effective time management and logical decision-making ability
- Strong focus on detail and quality of work
- An uncompromising focus on excellence
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills.
- Detail oriented
- Have the knowledge of basic construction software
Working Conditions and Safety Standards
The overall nature of the position is sedentary in nature requiring little physical effort and occasional light physical exertion. There is some exposure to environmental conditions when visiting job sites.
- The constant physical demands of the position are talking and hearing.
- The frequent physical demands of the position are sitting, standing and walking.
- The occasional physical demands of the position are carrying, pushing, pulling, handling, repetitive motions, and eye/hand/foot coordination.
In the rare occurrence of a need to go directly to a jobsite, as with all employees, the employee must remain alert, as well as expect high noise levels, dust and possible allergens, and fluctuating conditions while on a job site throughout the construction process.
Employees are required to wear personal protective equipment in designated operations and construction areas as outlined by OSHA and state agencies. Mandatory Work site safety apparel required daily and should be constantly accessible:
- Hard Hat
- Safety Vest / High Visibility clothing
- Safety glasses (dependent upon conditions)
- Steel toed safety shoes (dependent upon condition)
A professional appearance and attitude is to be utilized while on duty and representing M. Luis Construction Co., Inc.