Superintendent - Heavy Highway Construction
M. Luis Construction Co., Inc. is a woman and minority-owned, multi-generational, and regionally recognized asphalt manufacturer, and a heavy highway and roadway construction services company. We employ a diverse group of educated professionals, engineers and construction specialists focusing on solving customer’s challenges by providing high quality products and exceptional service. We help our clients by developing and providing solutions to meet various deadlines, specifications, and budgets. Since 1985, M. Luis has successfully and safely manufactured hundreds of thousands of tons of quality asphalt and paved thousands of lane miles of roads and highway. In addition, we are a general contractor that has performed numerous concrete operations throughout the state of Maryland.
An M. Luis Construction Superintendent plans and manages the coordination and scheduling of various construction jobs, oversees construction of the project in the field, provides leadership to various field foremen on different projects, and ensures the successful completion of trade work.
An M. Luis Construction Superintendent must manage and coordinate the work of all subcontractors working on the job site, work closely with members of the construction team, and interact directly with the project owner, owner representatives and the general public. Qualified candidates must have experience in managing medium to large scale road construction/paving projects. Individuals must possess strong leadership abilities and be responsible for managing and coordinating, logistics, subcontractors and suppliers, cost monitoring, scheduling and problem solving. Computer skills are required.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
Scheduling and coordinating entire project start to finish
Provide a bi-weekly projected project schedule
- On site instruction to subordinate employees
- Must be able to directly supervise multiple foremen and their crews at multiple sites
- Plan and implement all field construction work on multiple projects
- Be on site to oversee all the construction process
- Coordinate with Project Manager to secure manpower, materials, equipment and site logistics
- Ability to manage field crew including project engineers, foremen and assistant superintendent
- Organize the work force and ensure that performance is met
- Participate in and supervise workers operating light, heavy, and special motorized equipment commonly used in civil construction.
- General inspection of workers, performance and safety
- Ensure both the health and safety project plans are implemented
- Ensure the stipulated safety rules and regulations are met
- Manage project construction safety and MOT
- Effectively manage job site challenges such as weather conditions or emergencies
- Respond and monitor work delays and other problems and emergencies
- Identify and follow through on changed conditions and extra work opportunities
- Select, hire, and instruct trade labor and subcontractors
- Supervise and monitor subcontractors on jobsites
- Coordinate with suppliers, dumpsites, owner-operators, truckers
- Responsible for quality control
- Ensure that quality is preserved in the construction process
- Follow and maintain budget Communicate effectively both written and verbally with project owners, owner representatives and the general public
- Verify and sign off on daily quantities (materials/subcontractors/trucking/etc.) and time sheets provided by foremen
- Reviews and approves Daily Field Production Reports to include recording total costs for all materials delivered to a work site
- Maintain and document daily, weekly, monthly project progress records in liaison with the foreman
- Maintains a project journal on a daily basis.
- Follow internal protocols set forth by M. Luis upper management.
- Comply with legal requirements, building and safety codes, and other regulations.
- Create and maintain an atmosphere of teamwork and positive attitudes
- Work within the company policies as outlined in the M. Luis Employee Handbook and in compliment with the M. Luis Safety Manual, M. Luis Human Resources Manual and OSHA Safety Rules.
Education and Training
High school diploma or general education degree (GED), and thorough knowledge and supervisory experience in heavy highway construction. Basic Diploma/Degree in construction management preferred. MUST have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
Certification in the following is preferred or should be obtained within 30 days of placement in position
- First Aid & CPR
Erosion & Sediment (Yellow Card and Green Card)
Traffic Management and Control Certification
Knowledge and Experience
Must have superintendent experience in heavy highway, roadway, and site construction
Must have extensive on site concrete and asphalt paving experience
Knowledge of heavy road construction equipment and operation the equipment
Knowledge of traffic control and standards and pedestrian right of way standards and safety
Industry Standards and Specifications for various types of Road and Footway Construction
Must be knowledgeable of building construction, means and methods, scheduling and cost control procedures, general contract, general conditions, subcontract documents, drawings and specifications.
Experience in daily, weekly and monthly field documentation of construction activities and field personnel management
Knowledge and Experience (continued)
Project control and management
Ability to adhere to the Safety and Loss Prevention Program Knowledge of accounting and cost control procedures.
Pre jobsite visits
Project Close-out and W/MBE reporting
Must be proficient in the use of a PC, including Microsoft Office Programs and proper use of e-mail.
- Great verbal and written communication skills
- Planning and organizing abilities
Problem analysis and solving abilities
Managerial skills and the capacity to delegate properly
Have a tolerance to job related stress
Attention to detail.
Ability to instruct or train
Working Conditions and Safety Standards
An M. Luis Construction Superintendent can expect to make various daily work site visits, 3+ driving hours per day, and 5+ hours of walking to, from, and through M. Luis Construction sites. Employees on site must remain alert, as well as expect high noise levels, dust and possible allergens, and fluctuating weather and site conditions while on a job site throughout the construction process. Superintendent travel in short intervals and night work may be required.
Employees are required to wear personal protective equipment in designated operations and construction areas as outlined by OSHA and state agencies. Mandatory Work site safety apparel required daily and should be constantly accessible:
Safety Vest / High Visibility clothing
Steel toed safety shoes
A professional appearance and attitude is to be utilized while on duty and representing M. Luis Construction Co., Inc.
Salary and Benefits.
Salary commensurate with experience, personal credentials, competence, and other qualifications.
M. Luis Construction Co., Inc. is an EEO employer.
M. Luis Construction Co., Inc. participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. We are also an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here