Project Engineer - Heavy Highway Construction
A Project Engineer for M. Luis will manage all essential documentation for construction projects (budgets, cost reports, submittals, transmittals, contracts, requests for information, change orders, schedules, etc.) The project engineer communicates with subcontractors, ensuring that projects are completed on time, on budget and agreed upon with the individual, business or agency providing funding. Engineers frequently visit construction job sites to monitor the progress.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
Follow Company and Project Management procedures
Assist Project Manager and Superintendent with project related tasks
- Assist the Project Manager in ensuring that all materials and subcontractors are committed, approved, and available by the time they are required.
- Create and distribute contracts and purchase orders with suppliers and subcontractors
- Create and distribute work plans, material data and other submittals to project owners
- Analyzing and provide input to resolve field construction issues
- Prepare, review and distribute RFIs, submittals, and project correspondence. Maintain RFI, submittal, and correspondence logs. Manage and update project binders for estimating
- Review supplier and subcontractor submittals for accuracy and submit to owners
- Manage project document control system
- Maintain job files and other filing systems associated with project management positions
- Develop and maintain schedule with Project Manager and Superintendent input.
- Verify subcontractor and supplier invoicing against subcontracts and PO’s for accuracy, and coding invoices.
- Complete required tasks weekly: Labor and Equipment Timecards, Project Quantities, Force Account Work Orders, and collecting Subcontractor Daily Job Reports
- Manage project closeout and obtain all warranties required for final acceptance
- Maintain punch list with Superintendent
- Review the owner’s pay estimate prior to management’s approval
- Identify issues early and work to develop solutions
- Prepare all required information for presentation at project reviews
- Assist Estimators with bid preparation, take-offs, and bid submission
- Coordinate with Field Supervisor for subcontractor quantity take-offs and payment requisitions.
- Gather and enter quantities for cost reports.
- Prepare working drawings.
- Assemble, prepare, coordinate, submit, follow-up, record submittal information.
- Prepare and update production reports and schedules.
- Maintain as-built drawings (if required).
- Maintain contract drawings and specifications up-to-date for office and field use.
- Maintain Change Order logs.
- Prepare original budget from estimate and maintain budget revisions.
- Assure that pre-construction and progress photographs are taken and maintain prints and negatives.
- Develop and maintain subcontractor and supplier contact list.
- Draft work item list and item descriptions.
- Copy, file and distribute to accounting all receiving tickets and invoices.
- Obtain required permits and update Miss U permits.
- Collects and organizes information concerning field problems, questions, coordination.
- Monitor productions, material and subcontractor costs then analyze and project in order to assist the Project Manager in analyzing and presenting the monthly Cost Report Review.
- Work with General Foreman/Superintendent to produce reliable cost to complete projections for cost report reviews.
- Build and maintain CPM schedules with 2 week look aheads.
- Track Monthly billings and receivables.
- Manage project cash flow through accurate and timely billings and receivable collections and communicate to the Project Manager and the Accounting Department. Also follow through with the owner to ensure timely payments.
- Document and prepare change orders to contracts. Negotiate based on knowledge of issue and if authorized by Project Manager.
- Review and approve invoices and receiving tickets for payment on a weekly basis.
- Actively participate and support the quality program.
- Assemble and maintain job bluebooks, production reports, etc.
- Prepare Job Progress Notes weekly and monthly.
- Prepare Partial Summaries Monthly.
- Ensure that job delays are accurately tracked and well documented in the event of changing conditions (claims) and/or pending change orders.
- Provide cost projections and gather material and subcontractor cost information for Initial Variance reports with guidance of Project Manager.
- Attend weekly meetings such as Job Progress and Owner/Customer Progress meetings with assistance and guidance from the project manager.
- Possess a strong knowledge of field operations and construction processes as related to our specific jobs.
- Immediately report major problems with possible solutions for resolution.
- Market the company and uphold its outstanding reputation.
- Initiate job start up with accounting.
- Maintain strict adherence to the budgetary guidelines, quality and safety standards.
- More duties as listed on company Job Description Agreement.
Education and Training
Candidate must have a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Civil Engineering, or Construction Management or related degree.
Minimum of 3 years construction experience or demonstrated proficiency with the company as an office engineer.
MUST have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
Knowledge and Experience
Experience in heavy highway, roadway, and site construction
Ability to multi-task and work on several projects in various stages of completion
Familiar with, grading, drainage, paving (asphalt and concrete), retaining walls, and all other highway construction scopes
- Ability to learn new computer programs quickly
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including Microsoft Project.
- Ability to read and understand drawings and specifications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong prioritization and organizational skills; detail-oriented.
- Strong understanding of Construction Quality Control methods.
- Ability to work with a variety of personality types.
- Positive Attitude.
- Job Costing Experience.
- Ability to assist Project Manager in all aspects of managing 1 large or several small projects at any one time.
- Ability to supervise 2 individuals.
- Basic knowledge of contract law.
- Computer experience (Windows, Excel, Word and Project Management Software, to include scheduling software, i.e. Primavera, etc.).
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Planning and organizing abilities
Problem analysis and solving abilities
Initiative and Self Starting Abilities
Capacity to delegate
Excellent decision making skills
Exhibit and convey a sense of urgency
Ability for long and short term planning
Ability to instruct or train subordinates
Produce accurate and timely information
Have a tolerance to job related stress
Ability to plan and organize a team effort
Good client management and goodwill building ability
Capacity to motivate, lead and boost morale of the teams
Effective time management
Willingness to travel extensively across the construction sites
Strong focus on detail and quality of work
An uncompromising focus on safety excellence
A professional appearance and attitude is to be utilized while on duty and representing M. Luis Construction Co., Inc.
M. Luis Construction Co., Inc. is an EEO employer.
M. Luis Construction Co., Inc. participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. We are also an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here