Project Manager - Heavy Highway Construction
A Project Manager for M. Luis works closely to coordinate the effects of construction projects and provides leadership and guidance to the project staff. Manages the construction of asphalt paving projects and concrete road construction projects including State, Municipal, Commercial and Residential segments. Is responsible for overall project planning and scheduling, resource allocation, project accounting, and cost control, while providing technical direction and ensuring compliance with quality standards. The construction project manager responsibilities span a broad spectrum, covering all the areas of project management: project planning, revenue management, cost management, time management, quality management, contract administration, and safety management. The position involves detailed development of project schedules and extensive interaction with owners, representatives, local government personnel, subcontractors, suppliers and M. Luis personnel.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
• Review, monitor and coordinate project safety
• Overseeing the Project Engineer in executing sub-contracts, required submittals, Change Orders, Claims, Daily Logs, Purchase Orders, all pertinent documents for the files, maintaining a Daily Diary, and other duties related to their position.
• Schedule project in logical steps and budget time required to meet deadlines.
• Analyze job specifications to determine appropriate construction methods.
• Obtain all necessary permits and licenses and ensure that they are properly displayed with a copy in the project files prior to the commencement of related works.
• Oversee the construction project from start to finish.
• Perform a key role in project planning, budgeting, and identification of resources needed.
• Create effective teams, develop the objectives/goals of each and assign individual responsibilities.
• Project accounting functions including managing the budget, tracking revenue and costs, minimizing exposure and risk on the project
• Ensure that construction activities move according to predetermined schedule.
• Devise the project work plans, and make revisions as and when need arises.
• Communicate effectively with the contractors responsible for completing various phases of the project.
• Co-ordinate the efforts of all parties involved in the project, which include, consultants, contractors, sub-contractors and work force.
• Plan, organize, and direct activities/meetings concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems.
• Monitor the progress of the construction activities on a regular basis and hold regular status meetings with all the sub-teams.
• Take actions to deal with the results of delays, bad weather, or emergencies at construction site.
• Investigate damage, accidents, or delays at construction sites, to ensure that proper procedures are being carried out.
• Confer with supervisory personnel, owners, contractors, and design professionals to discuss and resolve matters such as work procedures, complaints, and construction problems.
• Plan, coordinate, evaluate and schedule the work to ensure that the project meets required standards of quality, schedule, cost goals and contract compliance.
• Interpret and explain plans and contract document terms to administrative staff, superintendents, vendors/subcontractors and project owners.
• Individual with authority to direct changes to the scope of work though written modifications.
• Confers with supervisory personnel, subcontractors, owners and owner representatives to discuss and resolve matters such as complaints and construction problems.
• Reviews monthly pay requisition accurately represents the work performed
• Ensures that materials and supplies for which payment has been requested are properly accounted for, in acceptable condition, and sored correctly.
• Maintains a "Daily Project Log"
• Prepares a monthly progress report summarizing the status of construction projects.
• Maintains a progress photo album for each contract project.
• Supports the Construction Manager in all contract administration matters, including negotiation or modifications and/or claims and interpretation of contracts requirements, with review and analysis of project schedules, project contracts, specifications, modifications, change orders, and claims.
• Develops and maintains an inventory of property on individual projects.
• Maintain strict adherence to the budgetary guidelines, quality and safety standards.
• Periodic inspection of construction sites.
• Ensure project documents are complete.
• Identify the elements of project design and construction likely to give rise to disputes and claims.
• Serve as a key link with the clients/owners and review the deliverable prepared by the team before passing onto client.
• Create and maintain an atmosphere of teamwork and positive attitudes
• Undertakes other duties, similar to those described above, as may be assigned.
Education and Training
• A four-year Bachelor's degree in civil engineering. A postgraduate degree in construction management is an added advantage. Scheduling proficiency is mandatory. Communications skills and etiquette must be optimal. Thorough knowledge of legal issues and safety standards is essential.
• At least 3 years of Project Management or Supervisory experience.
• At least 5 years Asphalt or Concrete industry experience
• Excellent detail to safety and quality
• MUST have a valid driver's license and clean driving record.
Knowledge and Experience
• Experience in heavy highway, roadway, and site construction
• Industry Standards and Specifications for various types of Road and Footway Construction
• Knowledge of traffic control and standards and pedestrian right of way standards.
• Knowledge of heavy road construction equipment and operation the equipment
• Supervisory responsibilities (previous experience preferred)
• Communication and leadership skills
• Proficient in plan reading
• Must have excellent proficiency in the use of a PC, including office programs and e-mail.
• Paving experience preferred
• Experience in estimating and managing cost to bid
• Good verbal and written communication skills
• Planning and organizing abilities
• Problem analysis and solving abilities
• Initiative and Self Starting Abilities
• Managerial skills
• Capacity to delegate
• Initiative, skills in negotiation
• Have a tolerance to job related stress
• Ability to instruct or train any possible subordinate
• Ability to plan and organize a team effort
• Time-management skills
• Good client management and goodwill building ability
• Capacity to motivate, lead and boost morale of the teams
• Effective time management and logical decision-making ability
• Willingness to travel extensively across the construction sites
• Strong focus on detail and quality of work
• An uncompromising focus on safety excellence
Working Conditions and Safety Standards
When conducting site visits, an M. Luis Project Manager can expect to make work site visits occasionally, 3+ driving hours per week, and 5+ hours of walking to, from, and through M. Luis Construction sites per week as well. As with all employees on any job site, the employee must remain alert, as well as expect high noise levels, dust and possible allergens, and fluctuating conditions while on a job site throughout the construction process. Employees are required to wear personal protective equipment in designated operations and construction areas as outlined by OSHA and state agencies.
A professional appearance and attitude is to be utilized while on duty and representing M. Luis Construction Co., Inc.
M. Luis Construction Co., Inc. is an EEO employer.
M. Luis Construction Co., Inc. participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. We are also an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP