Public Affairs/Communications Specialist
- Personal Care Products Council
- Washington D.C.
- Oct 16, 2014
- Nov 20, 2014
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
- Full Time
The Public Affairs Specialist is a key member of the public affairs and communications team, working closely with the EVP and Director to assist with a variety of activities and support functions including writing, editing, media relations, issues management, and working to raise the visibility of the industry, the association and key issues. Works independently on assignments.
- Monitors industry issues in the news, online activity, including social media, and tracks NGO campaigns as they relate to our industry/issues and makes recommendations for possible response.
- Distributes email alerts and other updates as necessary on key issues that appear in print, broadcast and online news media outlets.
- Drafts news releases, position statements, newsletter articles, web site copy, Twitter and Facebook content, and other relevant materials for final review by department’s EVP and Director. Proofreads various public affairs materials to support the department’s work to enhance and protect the industry’s reputation.
- Handles media inquiries, gathering information to determine reporter’s needs and deadlines; researches and gathers relevant background materials for media interviews; and coordinates department follow-up with members of the news media.
- Works closely with the Director to manage and enhance the Council’s social media platforms, often making content recommendations. This includes Twitter, Facebook and Cosmeticsinfo.org. Develops Google analytics reports, including analysis of Cosmeticsinfo.org , to share with key stakeholders and makes recommendations regarding content improvements.
- Posts statements, news releases and other relevant content to the Council’s Web site. Manages the Council’s online newsroom and makes determinations on appropriate content.
- Uses a variety of research tools for responding to public affairs and communications issues relevant to Council initiatives and other related organizations and member companies.
- Creates PowerPoint presentations for public affairs department. Makes regular presentations to the Communications Executive Committee.
- Manages outside vendors to ensure appropriate tracking, analysis, and reporting of Council and industry references in the media. Vendors include Cision, Google Analystics and PR Newswire.
- Maintains database of media inquiries. Manages all contact lists, including Committee lists, press (mainstream, beauty and trade).
- Coordinates public affairs committee meetings, prepares relevant handout materials and handles all logistics. Responsible for taking meeting minutes.
- Processes invoices and contracts for department.
- Other duties may be assigned.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS Competency Statement(s) • Communication, Written - Strong writing and presentation skills, with the ability to analyze and condense complex information. • Tactful - Ability to interact with all levels of staff and outside parties Excellent cross-cultural diplomacy skills. • Privacy - Ability to handle confidential or senisitive issues and/or materials and is expected to maintain privacy and confidentiality of documents pertaining to program matters. • Accuracy - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly. • Active Listening - Ability to actively attend to, convey, and understand the comments and questions of others. • Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word. • Creative - Ability to think in such a way as to produce a new concept or idea. • Customer Oriented - Ability to take care of the customers’ needs while following company procedures. • Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task. • Honesty / Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace. • Initiative - Ability to make decisions or take actions to solve a problem or reach a goal. • Working Under Pressure - Ability to complete assigned tasks under stressful situations. • Interpersonal - Ability to get along well with a variety of personalities and individuals. SKILLS & ABILITIES Education: Bachelor's Degree (four year college or technical school) Experience: 5 plus years of experience in comprehensive experience in public relations and the news media; must have “on the record” experience Computer Skills: MS Office, Google Analytics